Make a donation

Author Topic: Creaking handbrake mechanism?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Creaking handbrake mechanism?
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:19:26 pm »
A while ago i had the sticking rear offside caliper issue, I replaced the caliper and all has been well for 4 or so months. I had new tyres put on today and noticed a creaking/ knocking sound coming from the rear when braking and coming to a stop, can only hear it when im doing say under 15 mph and braking. Only seems to have started after the car has been jacked up and tyres changed though which is a bit odd. Also one minute the handbrake will be nice and tight and take about 3 clicks and the next minute it will go right up so im guessing its something to do with the caliper/handbrake mechanism, also notice an odd mettalic rattling sound associated with this problem too. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Creaking handbrake mechanism?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:05:09 pm »
My first move would be:-

This requires a good visual inspection to see if anything has physically moved out of place associated with the handbrake cables(clip/supports etc) as I may of been jacked up incorrectly!

The calipers normally fail in the style you have previously experienced.

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:57:28 pm »
As above bud, sounds like something is loose ie wheel or caliper ect. I have seen reconditioned calipers break the winding mech inside before.

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:43:48 pm »
Will get it up in the air tomorrow and get under while someone operates the handbrake, dont think the piston is seized because i chanced the discs n pads not long ago and it wound back fine unlike the other

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »
everything looks absoloutly fine. One thing i have noticed is the handbrake is night and tight but when i pull it up when the foot brake is depressed the handbrake comes a lot further up? Any ideas before i give up?

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »
How tight? As in how many clicks?, it could be over adjusted

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »
About 4 clicks, and about 6-8 clicks with the footbrake down. I took it into my mates garage and we took the caliper off and cleaned everything down, we noticed the pad retaining clip was scraping something and the pad was loose. We swapped the pad down and moved the clip up and its fixed!