Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+  (Read 31907 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 12:32:01 pm »
Ive always said thers no real difference between intakes... why spend over 300 quid for a product which can give same performance as one at the fraction of the price?

The itg kit is very nice and fits great but in my opinion is a tad over engineered and easily replicated with silicone and straigh pipes.

It's time for you to give it a rest on this now.

Every time something is posted about an intake you either disagree or post a picture of the BSH kit.

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 12:33:22 pm »
Ive always said thers no real difference between intakes... why spend over 300 quid for a product which can give same performance as one at the fraction of the price?

The itg kit is very nice and fits great but in my opinion is a tad over engineered and easily replicated with silicone and straigh pipes.

Every time something is posted about an intake you either disagree or post a picture of the BSH kit.

ive seen no evidence suggesting one intake works better than the other IM JUST TRYING to save people money !!!

:innocent:

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 12:39:28 pm »
steve great on the day comparison figures which we do appreciate and which let the figures do the talking  :happy2:

i remember a similar can of worms elsewhere when i swapped map providers

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 01:24:56 pm »

One cuprak1 gets his pump and is stage2 plus me and him will do a few rolling road sessions and see if there is a difference between his bsh and my ITG  :happy2:

Knowing wayne, hes not trying to be a prick or anything, hes just trying to be helpful  :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:28:02 pm by Poverty »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2009, 01:32:14 pm »

....Much as I appreciate why that foam block is there to help seal, I just can't help the fact that I absolutely detest its appearance. OK on a race car perhaps - Because everything is just hacked about for purely functional reasons, but not acceptable on a road car IMHO.

ITG Andy, if you're reading this, pleeeeeease persuade ITG's bean-counters to give you the budget to resolve this to the same high standard of industrial design as the rest of your intake. Surely all you need do is to extend the heatshield joining the filter into an L-shape. Unless velcro'd there is a real risk of losing that crude block of foam (while servicing at a dealers for example). Furthermore, doesn't it interfere with quick access to the battery and fuse box? I'm sorry but I'm only giving my very honest opinion and it really spoils your product for me no matter how well it undoubtedly performs.

All of us in attendance at the dyno day yesterday had a look conversation about this.

The reason it's made of foam is because it works and has nothing to do with the cost/budget/investment required to come up with something different.

The foam is tucked into the wing so it's really going anyway unless you want it to. The foam on the production kits is cut to size properly and not by Andy on the floor with a stanly knife  :grin: So IMHO it looks completely acceptable and is inkeeping with the rest of the parts of the kit.  :happy2:

....Good to learn this, Steve :happy2:. Until I see one in real life I can only base my opinions on the posted photos and I haven't seen a pic of a 'finished' foam one yet which looks ok to me.

Looking forward to seeing yours at the next meet we both attend :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 01:33:29 pm »
be good to see that. Be interested to see. Im more than happy with what i have now, but i'll always be interested in seeing how other kits performs against it.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 01:36:27 pm »

....Much as I appreciate why that foam block is there to help seal, I just can't help the fact that I absolutely detest its appearance. OK on a race car perhaps - Because everything is just hacked about for purely functional reasons, but not acceptable on a road car IMHO.

ITG Andy, if you're reading this, pleeeeeease persuade ITG's bean-counters to give you the budget to resolve this to the same high standard of industrial design as the rest of your intake. Surely all you need do is to extend the heatshield joining the filter into an L-shape. Unless velcro'd there is a real risk of losing that crude block of foam (while servicing at a dealers for example). Furthermore, doesn't it interfere with quick access to the battery and fuse box? I'm sorry but I'm only giving my very honest opinion and it really spoils your product for me no matter how well it undoubtedly performs.

All of us in attendance at the dyno day yesterday had a look conversation about this.

The reason it's made of foam is because it works and has nothing to do with the cost/budget/investment required to come up with something different.

The foam is tucked into the wing so it's really going anyway unless you want it to. The foam on the production kits is cut to size properly and not by Andy on the floor with a stanly knife  :grin: So IMHO it looks completely acceptable and is inkeeping with the rest of the parts of the kit.  :happy2:

....Good to learn this, Steve :happy2:. Until I see one in real life I can only base my opinions on the posted photos and I haven't seen a pic of a 'finished' foam one yet which looks ok to me.

Looking forward to seeing yours at the next meet we both attend :happy2:

Its perfect on mine. The foam slots right in under the wing snugly and would need a little tug to pull to get it out In no way does it look cheap IMO. YOu also dont have to have the foam ontop of the battery if you dont want it. Its not a necessity, whereas the main foam heat shield is needed.

If you look at the pic of mine it goes about 3 inches(ish) under the wing and you can see the indent where the bonnet is holding it snugly into position
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:38:37 pm by simonskerton »

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 02:20:39 pm »
thats the thing when engineers gets the say on the final product....function over form...not form over function.

the ITG design works and works well. no need to flaf about to satisfy the form over function brigade.

Its not created for show and shine compos...its designed to increase airflow / turbo intake performance. Simples.

for those who want a more pleasing look, i'm sure they can find their own solution (lots of CF i would imagine and gold plated bling perhaps)

for me when it comes to modding, it is ALWAYS about function, and never about form.

Thats my 2p.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 03:02:06 pm »

thats the thing when engineers gets the say on the final product....function over form...not form over function.

the ITG design works and works well. no need to flaf about to satisfy the form over function brigade.

Its not created for show and shine compos...its designed to increase airflow / turbo intake performance. Simples.

for those who want a more pleasing look, i'm sure they can find their own solution (lots of CF i would imagine and gold plated bling perhaps)

for me when it comes to modding, it is ALWAYS about function, and never about form.

Thats my 2p.

....I'm not suggesting that function is at all compromised by form and I'm sure we both know that such an intake as this ITG is nowhere near what would satisfy a proper 'show and shiner' and that neither am I a 'show and shiner'. So I find your 'show and shine' reference somewhat unreasonable [but not offensive].

The aim of a good professional industrial/product designer should be to primarily achieve function but to ALSO achieve some semblence of good form. In this case of the ITG, based on photos I have seen so far, the foam block looks like a very amateur afterthought and badly lets down the overall high standard of the rest of the product. Let's be honest - It is an afterthought isn't it - Considered and added somewhat later in the design development. Perhaps Andy could comment.

Look at products designed by Porsche - High standards of function and form very successfully combined. There are many other products which successfully meet this criteria, including some other aftermarket air intakes.

It's not necessarily a good idea for only engineers to be involved in product design and development - A professional product/industrial designer should also be onboard. It's the same reasoning why a company shouldn't only be run by accountants isn't it - But as an accountant you might not agree!

Yes, if I had this ITG I would want to replace that whole heatshield configuration around the filter and it wouldn't necessarily involve carbonfibre (though of course it might if considered a suitable material). My initial thought would be to get hold of a L-shape heatshield component from another intake manufacturer - Lots of them use similar parts to choose from. Or is the foam heatshielding alone really such a scientifically proven important element in the undoubted great performance of this product?

Now I don't wish to take this thread off topic to the extent of long debates about a block of foam, but I do need to respond to your post though I fully appreciate you have a different point of view.

:drinking:

ADDENDA: - Basically I see this product as still unfinished. Having established by the addition of a block of foam that sealing is a functional benefit, the ITG design team should then address the best way of integrating it into the design of heatshielding that area as a whole. The result would then be far more satisfactory on several levels, both aesthetically and in practical terms. Mk2 version?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:15:09 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2009, 03:48:06 pm »
im not so sure. I think if the foam was replaced with something else....say plastic it wouldnt look so good. the foam serves a good purpose. To seal all the gaps with another material it would have to be very jagged and IMO opinion it would be too hard to make and be cost effective at the same time.

That looks pretty well finished to me. Id love to see a better looking way of closing the gaps off as efficiently as that. IMO the only option available that i think looks more ashthetically pleasing is the twintake which solves the issue by sealing the intakes in a housing. (incidently andy@ITG wanted to do that with some huuuge carbon scoop things like he did in the audi TT intake but the TT has a smaller battery and more space)

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2009, 04:00:47 pm »
RR....

if a company was run by accountants, there'd be no sales and the company wouldn't exist really as no sales = no income = no jobs lol. I get reminded of that everyday at work (so i have to be nicer to sales basically)

i totally understand your view point, but i'm just putting the point across from the other end of the stick where there are consumers who buy a product for what it does and the "finished" look is further down on the list of "essential requirements".

That extra bit of foam block, if removed entirely, would actually make it all tidier and more on the "finished" side of things.

But ITG is just catering for those who want a better seal of the intake from engine heat.  There are plenty of CAI's out there that don't have a seal at all and yet they are "finished".

If this intake provides excellent VFM and BHP per £££'s, then I'd be getting one with no hesitation whatsoever.
Of course everyone is different, hence why there is a wide range of CAI's for people to choose from.  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2009, 04:06:38 pm »

im not so sure. I think if the foam was replaced with something else....say plastic it wouldnt look so good. the foam serves a good purpose. To seal all the gaps with another material it would have to be very jagged and IMO opinion it would be too hard to make and be cost effective at the same time.

That looks pretty well finished to me. Id love to see a better looking way of closing the gaps off as efficiently as that. IMO the only option available that i think looks more ashthetically pleasing is the twintake which solves the issue by sealing the intakes in a housing. (incidently andy@ITG wanted to do that with some huuuge carbon scoop things like he did in the audi TT intake but the TT has a smaller battery and more space)

....Sorry, Si - My criticisms are referring mostly to the foam block atop the battery and fuse box and how it is 'extra' to and not integrated with the heatshield you posted a pic of.  

I've been having long email chats with Andy for a while about what's on the Audi TT and its possible adaptation to a GTI. It would mean either relocating oem battery (not a practical option in a road car) or changing to a race battery which then wouldn't reliably power what's needed in a road car.  

:happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2009, 04:16:56 pm »
RR....

i totally understand your view point, but i'm just putting the point across from the other end of the stick where there are consumers who buy a product for what it does and the "finished" look is further down on the list of "essential requirements".

That extra bit of foam block, if removed entirely, would actually make it all tidier and more on the "finished" side of things.

But ITG is just catering for those who want a better seal of the intake from engine heat.  There are plenty of CAI's out there that don't have a seal at all and yet they are "finished".

If this intake provides excellent VFM and BHP per £££'s, then I'd be getting one with no hesitation whatsoever.
Of course everyone is different, hence why there is a wide range of CAI's for people to choose from.  :drinking:

....Absolutely agreed :drinking:

I am being very critical but if no-one who thinks as I do, gives any feedback, then ITG are not to know. [Robin, but no-one thinks as you do! I hear someone say]

In posting criticism of anything one has to be very careful to ensure that one's words reflect a sincere and honest criticism which has constructive intentions and which isn't insulting.

I definitely have this ITG intake on my shortlist and I wouldn't be bothering with that extra block of foam!! However, due to being Revo2 and Milltek TBE I would need to upgrade to an aftermarket HPFP (or turn down my Boost to 4) and I would only currently consider the APR (megabucks). Do I really want more power? - Not really, the power balance is perfect and she handles like a dream. I'm nothing like as fast as the modded Ed30 boyz but that doesn't bother me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:26:33 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »

....Sorry, Si - My criticisms are referring mostly to the foam block atop the battery and fuse box and how it is 'extra' to and not integrated with the heatshield you posted a pic of.  

I've been having long email chats with Andy for a while about what's on the Audi TT and its possible adaptation to a GTI. It would mean either relocating oem battery (not a practical option in a road car) or changing to a race battery which then wouldn't reliably power what's needed in a road car.  

:happy2:
you could put in the TT battery as a direct Oem replacment, but IMO opinion bang for buck and aesthetics the twintake would be the better option i reckon.

As for the bit ontop of the battery. you could just take that out of the equation. Noother intake heatshield or not has had this before so it wont be that much of a loss. Id think the air coming in gfrom the grill should push most of the hot air away from the top of the battery area anyway

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2009, 04:30:05 pm »
RR....

But ITG is just catering for those who want a better seal of the intake from engine heat.  There are plenty of CAI's out there that don't have a seal at all and yet they are "finished".

Of course everyone is different, hence why there is a wide range of CAI's for people to choose from.  :drinking:

....Absolutely agreed :drinking:

I am being very critical but if no-one who thinks as I do, gives any feedback, then ITG are not to know. [Robin, but no-one thinks as you do! I hear someone say]

In posting criticism of anything one has to be very careful to ensure that one's words reflect a sincere and honest criticism which has constructive intentions and which isn't insulting.

I definitely have this ITG intake on my shortlist and I wouldn't be bothering with that extra block of foam!! However, due to being Revo2 and Milltek TBE I would need to upgrade to an aftermarket HPFP (or turn down my Boost to 4) and I would only currently consider the APR (megabucks). Do I really want more power? - Not really, the power balance is perfect and she handles like a dream. I'm nothing like as fast as the modded Ed30 boyz but that doesn't bother me.

all the guys on k03 that i know who have had the revo stage 2+ have likened it to the equivalent of going from std to stage 1 again. your car is very very well setup to utilise the extra torque and power from stage 2+ code. wouldnt go with the APR pump personally. Autotech or KMD internals are the way forward. 1 hours labour, and 300 queen quids for the intenals vs 700 queen quids for the apr pump