Make a donation

Author Topic: Value my car 07 GTI  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Value my car 07 GTI
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 04:18:19 pm »
Do you have any pics or can you prove that the cat c was only due to panel damage by a hammer?

Is there any receipts for any of the work that was done that May help your claims?

Unfortunately not. I can only take the word of the gent who sold it to me and the DVLA serious damage marker. I do 100% believe it though.

From doing odd jobs on the car, servicing, recirc valve, rear lights etc I've had chance to see the build date stickers on nearly every part of the car and they all match. As do the vins etc. I've lifted boot carpets and removed plastic trims and everything original and undamaged.

All 4 wheels are original with same part numbers. All wishbones front and back are also original.

I've spent a good amount of time underneath the car while in a 4 post lift too and I can't find any evidence to suggest it it's true.

To anybody who is interested. Feel free to bring some overalls and I'll happily give you some time to do these checks for yourself (providing you don't intend to dismantle my pride and joy too much)

Thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 09:12:22 pm »
Ok guys. When first advertised I got lots of interest but nothing for the last week or so. Do you think I'll have more luck if I drop the price some? I get the keys to my house in less than a month now so it needs to be sold by then :(

'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:14 pm »
Have you relisted it? Normally on gumtree you need to re-post the advert every week or so otherwise it just falls to the bottom of the results
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 08:57:47 am »
I had considered this but wast sure if they'd allow me to repost the same car. I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 09:15:59 am »
I had considered this but wast sure if they'd allow me to repost the same car. I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

Attempted this. £15 to re-list the same car.

Which site would be most beneficial to me to list on.

eBay classified
Autotrader
Gumtree
An other decent ones?

Thanks
'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 09:31:44 am »
Having just bought a 57 plate Gti a thought id give my input on the value of car!
To put it into perspective ive just bought a fully loaded 3 door in black, 1 owner from new and immaculate throughout with full dealer history and completely standard etc, 60k miles, bought private from the original owner for 7k

On the basis of the above info I would unfortunately only value it around 4k on any cat C example regardless of condition etc its still a cat C and you have no evidence or photos of damage etc either!

Even a cat D car is worth much less too!

Have to stop and think that for the money you are thinking i could buy a low owner high mileage example with good history and not on the total loss register

Soon as people read cat C myself included you instantly think big damage and run a mile

Only my 2 pence worth mate just being honest as you asked for advice/oppinions

Matt  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 11:15:18 am »
Selling Cat C cars come with a very limited attraction , many private sellers don't disclose the status (As legally they don't have to)

I would suggest that you find the buyers first with an advert "Make me an offer on my Cat C GTI"

Once you get someone interested try and carefully negotiate with them to a conclusion

The fact that less than 1% of buyers will buy a Cat C car is worth considering too .

Why was it classified as Cat C and not D would be my question , as most cars damaged like you say would be Cat D .

Also Categorised cars repaired professionally you would never tell it has been done .

2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline cloud11

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:42 pm »
I would call the insurance company and have it changed from CAT C to a CAT D as it was only panel damage, not any other sort of damage...I would have contested the CAT C as soon as they tried to classify it as a CAT C on the V Car, I think it could have been a mistake by someone who thought because the repairs were expensive they thought it means cat C.

Give the people who classified it as a cat C and dispute this, once its a CAT D you can sell it ALOT more easily, I mean my 1.9tdi is a CAT D and I will have trouble selling, but not as much as you  :sad1:

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 09:04:47 pm »
I would call the insurance company and have it changed from CAT C to a CAT D as it was only panel damage, not any other sort of damage...I would have contested the CAT C as soon as they tried to classify it as a CAT C on the V Car, I think it could have been a mistake by someone who thought because the repairs were expensive they thought it means cat C.

Give the people who classified it as a cat C and dispute this, once its a CAT D you can sell it ALOT more easily, I mean my 1.9tdi is a CAT D and I will have trouble selling, but not as much as you  :sad1:

The OP can't question the Cat C , he doesn't even know for certain what was damaged , only someone told him what was damaged . Every seller of a Cat C/D will tell you "oh it was only blah blah blah" to sell the car afterall !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline andy1979uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:20 pm »
Have not read the whole thread but I see CAT C cars on Autotrader for weeks on end and I scroll straight past them sorry. I would break it for parts.

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Value my car 07 GTI
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 10:44:03 am »
Proving difficult to sell, seems I paid too much last year :( Difference between cat c and cat d is the cost of the repair. It differs by insurance company but if the repair will cost 40% of the cars market value, it's a cat d write off. 50% gives it a cat c status. The cost of repair includes the cost of any hire vehicle required whilst the repair is carried out too.

I see is as an opportunity for someone to own a car which appears much more valuable that it really is. It's a 7k car being sold at 5k.

I'll just have to keep it up for sale with knowledge it may never sell. I suppose it's an excuse to keep it until the market value drops considerably.

Thanks for the input.
'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline andy1979uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 04:51:45 pm »
Problem is they could buy a 5k car that is still a 3 door GTI that has'nt been written off and is'nt going to be nightmare to sell. I'm sure the cars fine, but fact is people don't want the hassle when it comes to selling on.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 07:04:26 pm »
Problem is they could buy a 5k car that is still a 3 door GTI that has'nt been written off and is'nt going to be nightmare to sell. I'm sure the cars fine, but fact is people don't want the hassle when it comes to selling on.
Exactly my thoughts also!
My friend is on the look out for a tidy bargain Mk5 Gti and may be interested in something like this but as said already its a 3.5k car on cat C maybe bit more if was on a D
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 11:05:37 pm »

A 5k gti is usually 100k plus and a bit of a rough one. This is a very tidy, high spec, low mileage gti for the same price. Webuyanycar are offering £4400 with the cat c declared but obviously they offer this regardless of the trim level. May be worthwhile removing the Xenons, monza 18s and f1 assym and rcd510 and see what their final offer would be.

'07 Mk5 GTI Manual