Make a donation

Author Topic: Fully comp insurance question..  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Dave_TDI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Fully comp insurance question..
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:41 am »
Hi guys, sorry this is quite long winded..

I currently have my GTI for sale and im having second thoughts and want to keep it, the problem is and the reason for selling is because i need a van and simply cant afford 2 insurance policies..

I'm 24 and currently fully comp with Elephant who do not allow me to drive other vehicles, so i was wondering if there are any companies out there which will allow a fully comp 24 year old to drive any other vehicle third party?

Reason im asking is because my dad has a Berlingo i can use for work as he only uses it for the dog at weekends so that way i wouldnt need to buy a van and can keep my GTI and hopefully take it to stage 2.

Any help would be appreciated or any other way round it as i REALLY REALLY dont want to sell my GTI as it took me 2 years to save and has always been the car i wanted.

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Fully comp insurance question..
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:53 am »
Hi mate, there are insurance companies within the market that would potentially allow you to drive other vehicles third party only (providing the vehicle you wanted to drive was actually insured in its own right of course) but you need to be careful using that Driving Other Cars extension as generally if you check the terms and conditions of the policy or the certificate of insurance it states you can drive other "private cars" it doesn't authorize you to drive what could be classed as a commercial vehicle which potentially a van could be especially a van you would be using for business purposes. So definately get that confirmed before you make the switch mate.

Out of interest does you dad have the vehicle insured for any form of business use or is it purely social domestic & pleasure do you know ?  :smiley:

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:33:12 am »
Get added on to your dad's policy. Policies that allow you to drive any car third party only are designed for this as an exception rather than a constant benefit, I doubt the policy would allow you to drive any other vehicle on business use anyway.

Offline Dave_TDI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:43:06 am »
Cheers for the fast responses  :happy2:

The van is insured as SD&P as he doesnt use it for work (he has a vehicle recovery business but the van and his personal car are insured seperatly), i'm also employed under and employer rather than self employed if that makes any difference..

I might have to get my dad to ring his insurance company and get a quote to add me onto his policy but would this work as i live at a different address?

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:44:22 am »
Exactly that, and as you mentioned the driving other cars extension wouldn't allow you to drive another vehicle for business use.

The only trouble with just adding yourself to your dads policy is that if you dad only has it insured for social domestic and pleasure the insurers wouldn't then allow you to use the vehicle for "your" business as the policy itself would not be designed for that purpose. Hope that helps a bit mate.

Offline matt_the_mussel

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • TV; Teacher, Mother, Secret lover.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:36 pm »
Double check it is sd+p, when I had my mk2 caddy pickup I couldn't get anyone to insure me as sd+p because they all said it was a commercial vehical....ironic really, you could get much more stuff in a small estate....