Make a donation

Author Topic: Auto Headlights and Wipers gone weird after Windscreen change  (Read 2999 times)

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Hi all,

I had to have my windscreen replaced last week after it cracked.

Since then, I've noticed the wipers have wiped a few times in the dry and the headlights have come on a few times during the day!

The crack did go right across where the sensor sits on the screen. It isn't a VW screen - it was fitted by Auto Windscreens through my insurance. I have contacted them and the manager of the branch is going to call me tomorrow. They have been really nice and helpful every time I've had contact with them so I can't really grumble at them yet.

Does anyone know what the problem could be - the sensor itself? I don't know how these things work! And if anyone has had similar experiences to help me know what to say to them if they won't play ball.

Thanks in advance,

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Auto Headlights and Wipers gone weird after Windscreen change
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:59 pm »
Anyone?

Offline 1.8T Chap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:59:44 pm »
My only suggestion would be they haven't fitted the plug for the rain sensor correctly perhaps or they have knackered it up, they are £160 from dealers!!!

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:28 pm »
From my experience when my windscreen was taken out there was a lot of dirt from the old rubber seal that was cut, the gunk beneath the seal and small glass shavings from the glass.

They would have cleaned the screen scrutinously before installing it but maybe some dirt fell onto the sensor during removal.

If that dirt was loose to move around the sensor then as the light hits off it or you take a corner at speed it might cause the sensor to react.

Only a thought now but worth taking a good look at the sensor from the outside.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:53 pm »
Mine was weird for a day or two but it sorted itself out.
Is the glass the same tint/colour..? some are blue/green tint others are clear. If changed it needs to be set on VCDS to match.

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:35:53 pm »
Hi, thanks for the replies.

The screen is the correct green tint (later mk5).

The man from auto windscreens came back out yesterday. He said the gel pad was slightly damaged so could be causing the problem. He put some gel on and refitted the sensor to see if that would help. The wipers worked ok but just as he was putting the casing back on the mirror, the wipers started sweeping the totally dry screen so he said he will speak to the manager and get a new part ordered. I forget what he said but I think it was the sensor itself with the gel pad on it.

I will ring up on Monday to check when they will be getting the part and hopefully it'll be sorted. I'm glad the wipers played up when he was there to see it for himself.

So far so good - can't really complain with their customer service!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:14:04 pm »
That's good. Keep us updated dude.

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »
was just about to say they have a gel pad in the sensor that messes up, but your sorted

good stuff
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 01:27:17 pm »
They called this morning to say that they have got the part from the local TPS and I have booked to have it fitted next Tuesday. So far so good!

I'm not driving it at the moment as there is a nail in my front tyre - it isn't deflating but I don't want to risk it as I drive mainly on the motorway. Using my Land Rover until i can get it sorted. Poor car isn't doing great at the moment!

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:18:19 pm »
Another update.

New rain sensor was fitted on Thursday. The wipers kept going off as the man was refitting the trim round the rear view mirror, we found that as you moved the mirror, it set the wipers off. So, any vibration or bumps would be setting it off. I have since noticed that having music on at any considerable volume causes the mirror to vibrate.

I am now having a new screen fitted as the bracket for the rain sensor on the cheapo standard screen they fitted was not strong enough.

I have requested that they fit either a windscreen from the dealer, or a Saint Gobain screen (which is the glass VW fit in the factory). They have agreed to this, and are bringing me a Saint Gobain screen to fit on Thursday morning.

I've really got to hand it to Auto Windscreens so far. Whilst it's been a pain in the backside, they have done all they can to remedy the situation and they're really 'on the ball' with ringing me back. They have said that the manufacturer  of the dodgy windscreen will be blacklisted on their systems to ensure this doesn't happen again. So I've got a new rain sensor straight from the VW dealer, and hopefully an OEM screen!

I hope this can help someone in the future with a similar issue.