Make a donation

Author Topic: Selling Advice needed.  (Read 1710 times)

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Selling Advice needed.
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:22:59 pm »
Evening to one and all.

I'll be selling my Mk5 GTi very soon and was wondering if I could get some advice on the price I should sell it it. I'll probably be going up on eBay Motors/Autotrader.

Here's the Spec. 
55(06) - 146,000 - 6 months Tax and 9 months MOT
Full service history (VW Hull up to 96,000 - independent thereafter. Major service done at 135,000 miles. DSG serviced at c125,000)
2.0TFSI DSG
Black with black leather inc armrest. As well as standard GTi equipment, it also has:
Heated seats
heated mirrors
auto dim mirror, auto lights and auto wipers
10 speaker sound system with iPod dock under armrest
18" Diamond cut alloys (currently sprayed with Gunmetal grey Plastidip)
factory privacy glass
Full info display
Multi Functional Steering wheel with Paddles.
4 good tyres

Problems and some things that require some attention:

One of the brake sensors is playing up (again!) it's probably the last one, as I've had 3 done since I've had the car! Lights on Dash are fine until I get to about 40-50mph
The car will need pads and discs in around 3-4,000
Bodywork is OK but some paint work requires attention. Front 2 wings have started to bubble. passenger side door has a deep key mark (c**ts) about 4inches long.
A slight car park scape on passenger side rear quarter (c**ts) and an good overall machine polish is required.
I had the DSG shifter replaced back in November last year. The PRNDS lights have a habit of flashing when they feel like it. Some days they're fine - some they just don't stop. Gear Changes are fine though.

I was thinking of putting it up for around £3,300.  Am I being a little too ambitious?  I know it's not perfect and it requires some much needed TLC. I just don't have the time to give it that. I'm just hoping the decent amount of spec on it will sway it for those looking for something to give it their own individual touch/someone looking for a car they can drive straight away and spend money on it as they go.

Thanks for reading.

dansmith180

Re: Selling Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:36:32 pm »
Looking on Autotrader people are asking over 4K for GTI's with 150k+ on the clock, with the spec you've got and taking into consideration the niggles and damage I would probably put it up for like £3600 and take any offers £3300 and above if that's what you want. There's a CAT D car with 110k for £4300 and CAT cars are significantly devalued. I should imagine you can get what you're after if not a bit more.

Offline Neiltdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 8
  • Full Hex+CAN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:48:15 pm »
Where abouts are you ?

I've got a mk2 golf 2.0t dsg in mind if it's going that cheap
Full Hex+CAN in Hampshire.

dansmith180

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:58:14 pm »
Where abouts are you ?

THAT    SOUNDS           TAAASTY.

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:13 pm »
Looking on Autotrader people are asking over 4K for GTI's with 150k+ on the clock, with the spec you've got and taking into consideration the niggles and damage I would probably put it up for like £3600 and take any offers £3300 and above if that's what you want. There's a CAT D car with 110k for £4300 and CAT cars are significantly devalued. I should imagine you can get what you're after if not a bit more.

I'm always weary of Autotrader prices, tbh. I think in most cases, the cars go for allot less than advertised. A classic case of start high and work down to the price you have in your head, realistically/cost effectively.

Let's hope you're right. Thanks for the reply.

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:30 pm »
You'd easily get £3300 for it, would expect it to go within the day advertised at that price. I'd be tempted to whack it on for £3995 and see what happens.
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:46 pm »
Where abouts are you ?

I'm up in a Newcastle mate.

Offline fenny

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
I recently sold my 08 GTI with 165,000 for £4,500 so I don't think you're way out.

dansmith180

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:34 pm »

I'm always weary of Autotrader prices, tbh. I think in most cases, the cars go for allot less than advertised. A classic case of start high and work down to the price you have in your head, realistically/cost effectively.

Let's hope you're right. Thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean, they do normally ask high but considering your looking at £1000 less than an equivalent I found you should get that all day mate.

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 12:23:37 am »

There's one thing I'm totally dreading and that's tyre kickers and anoraks turning up and expecting it to be perfect.

I'll be honest with anyone. At the end of the day, they're spending their money on something and I have to fulfil my basic duty of being honest.

I'm leaning more towards an eBay add - because it will allow me to put the various defects in. That way, hopefully, I won't get asked a million questions when being viewed/called up about.

dansmith180

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 08:21:03 am »
I would do EBay, there's it has more views and the ads are cheaper, Autotrader is not as popular as it used to be.

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:09 am »
Ebay - definitley

I would start a advert something like - If eveything was all A1 i would want £xxxx

Then list each negative point and the cost to rectify , each time reducing the price you are after

Good Luck as cars needing work are difficult to shift...... If it was me i would rectify some of the things that need doing
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 11:16:23 am »
I'd say closer to £4k rather than the closer to £3k you have in mind and then if you sell for £3.5k it'd be a fair price, anything on top of that is a bonus. Unless of course you get some of the work done and then i'd be looking to value north of £4k and sell for north of £4k but obviously you need to do your calculations as to how much the work is going to cost so you can at least recoup those costs but you should get way more for it than selling your motor looking a bit on the shabby side with work needing to be done.

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:00 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.

Off the top of my head and past experiences, the costs would look a bit like this:

Paintwork: I've been quoted £240 for both wings, the scratch and mild scrape.
Discs and pads all around; an average quality set is around £140 on eBay (Mintex) £230+ for anything a little better.
Brake sensor and labour has cost me £50 in the past
Flashing dash lights: I've not been able to find a code-r who can cure this issue.

So that's around £400 +/- £100.

The paint shop is owned by a customer of mine. His work is fantastic, I know this because I had a new front bumper fitted last year, due to a crack/various scratches. He's happy to do the same work at the same rate for any local future owner. I could add this to the add also.

I think I'll start at £3,700 and see where we go from there.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 04:21:31 pm »
If you do discs and pads then go with the £140 option. So long as they are fit for purpose they are fine for the car. No point in upgrading a part on something which is being sold as from the buyer's perspective the fact you've spent a ton more on the brakes is neither here nor there - so long as the brakes work as they should the £140 option is the one to go for.