Make a donation

Author Topic: My Mk5 2.0 GT  (Read 28387 times)

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: My Mk5 2.0 GT
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 08:59:04 am »
nice car u got there  :happy2:

i do say you change the last bulbs to white xenon-look  :laugh:
Those LED's say ten in a pack but don't you need 12? lol or am I counting wrong?
I think you should change the footwell lights as well  :happy2:

Thanks  :smiley: Nope your not counting wrong Yorkie92, you do need 12 but I managed to count them wrong and didn't add the rest on to my order  :ashamed: I'm now starting to think the footwells will be changing to LED too now so will have to order those later!

I like the xcarlink in the glovebox.

Which one did you get?

I also have an MFD2 and would like to get ipod and Bluetooth connectivity setup for my iphone 5s to the MFD2. Have you done this with the xcarlink?

Thanks :smiley:  I got this one http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=4&cat=2&page=1 which seems to work pretty well. I wanted to keep the use of the CD changer too for some reason so this was the only 1 that didn't just plain replace it. The iPod can be controlled via the MFD2 with the XCarLink but I didn't bother with bluetooth as my car came with a Bury kit installed when I got it and just seemed like a bit of a waste to get rid of it at that stage.

I will probably be selling this stuff soon as I want to switch out the MFD2 for the RNS510 soon (prefer the look and touch screen) and will use the SD card and MDI instead of the XCarLink. I'm also hoping that I'll be able to get a bluetooth module for it to replace the Bury kit and possibly add voice control  :party:

I also want to keep my cd changer so that's perfect! So you just click the AUX button on the MFD2 and it comes up? Is there any chance you could throw up a photo of the screen with the ipod connected?

That iPod connection looks strange to me, did they give you the option to get a lightning cable adapter instead of the standard pin?

How difficult is the wiring for the XCarlink?

Sorry for all of the questions but I've been looking into this for months and you seem to know your stuff!!

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88307.0.html
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 02:14:03 pm »
I also want to keep my cd changer so that's perfect! So you just click the AUX button on the MFD2 and it comes up? Is there any chance you could throw up a photo of the screen with the ipod connected?

That iPod connection looks strange to me, did they give you the option to get a lightning cable adapter instead of the standard pin?

How difficult is the wiring for the XCarlink?

Sorry for all of the questions but I've been looking into this for months and you seem to know your stuff!!

No probs, ask away it's 1 of the reasons I joined here. Regarding the connector I actually use my iPod Classic 80Gb specifically for the car so I don't use anything other than that, I can plug my iPhone 5 into the AUX on the XCarLink if I wanted Spotify or something but I've never actually done that. You can get a 30pin to Lightning converter for the newer iPods though.

Installing the XCarLink is really simple with the MFD2, comes with everything you need to get it working. It actually goes in between the CD changer and the MFD2 making use of the changer controls. On the MFD2 you get 6 discs on the screen and those represent the first 5 playlists on the iPod and also a manual mode. CD1 is manual mode which lets you use the iPod as normal and then you can use the MFD2 controls for next and prev, CD2-6 are the iPod playlists and again you get the same controls.

My dad had the MFD2 with the VW factory fitted iPod dock instead of the CD changer in his R32 and that worked exactly the same way so I do wonder if they are actually the same piece of kit. You don't get track names or anything like that through the MFD2 unfortunately, that's 1 of the reasons I'm wanting to do the RNS510 upgrade and switch over to MDI which does have track names and also different connector cables so if I ever wanted Lightning connectivity I could just buy the cable for it. You do get the VW logo on the iPod when it's in use via the MFD2 though which is pretty funky in a sad kinda way  :grin:

It's a simple but very effective solution to have the best of both worlds really, keep the car looking standard but also have more up to date hardware like the iPod connectivity. You just switch to the radio and then back to CD to switch between the changer and the XCarLink and it will remember which was last used along with tracks etc.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 10:46:30 am »
I got onto carxlink direct and asked them about the Bluetooth function.

I was set to buy the whole unti until they told me that I can only use the Bluetooth function when I'm already using the cd changer function.

As in if I'm listening to the radio or if I have it turned off, it won't work at all which is ridiculous so I think I'll keep on looking :(

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 10:19:41 am »
I got onto carxlink direct and asked them about the Bluetooth function.

I was set to buy the whole unti until they told me that I can only use the Bluetooth function when I'm already using the cd changer function.

As in if I'm listening to the radio or if I have it turned off, it won't work at all which is ridiculous so I think I'll keep on looking :(

That's a bit rubbish about the bluetooth only working when using the XCarLink source. It does however make sense thinking about it as the module plugs directly into the XCarLink and not the MFD itself so the MFD doesn't know the bluetooth even exists. My Bury bluetooth kit goes between the main loom and the MFD so it can 'hijack' the output regardless of what source is being used.

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 03:26:21 pm »
Little update on progress.

Yesterday saw the first of the big mods for me so far happen on the car. I met up with Eddie-NL for a gateway change, cruise fitting and highline fitting, unfortunately the highline wouldn't work in my car so we've put that one on hold for the time being and got going on the other bits. I just about got the courage to pull the dash apart to fit my MFD2 let alone fit the cruise so I'm really grateful for Eddie's help on all of this stuff, and hopefully more to come!

We did a few scans of the car too to find out if my passenger door issue was controller related or something else but looks like it may be something else so that's going to have to wait for anther day.

Old gateway and indicator stalk

Before cruise fitting

During cruise fitting

Cruise fitted

After all of this was done I was sorting a few other bits out and I noticed a few marks on the seats and now I know about them they will bug me. I had a little read up on cleaning the interior as I thought I'd try and blitz everything properly when I do it so I popped out and picked up a few bits to get started.

Leather care

I was hoping to get this done today but ended up having to sort out some stuff at home, hoping to get this done next weekend now.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 07:07:02 pm »
some excellent upgrades you have done :happy2:

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 11:58:16 am »
some excellent upgrades you have done :happy2:

Cheers  :smiley:

A package arrived for me at work on Friday  :party:

I've been looking around for weeks for an RNS510 to replace the MFD2 I installed when I got the car. I finally found this version H at the right price so jumped right on it. The unit arrived before lunch at work so decided it was being installed before it burnt a hole in my desk!

Out with the old!

In with the new  :jumping:

I'm really happy with how it looks, it just makes the whole interior look much better somehow. The only issue with the unit at the moment is that it doesn't seem to take CDs or DVDs into the drive, they just stop as if there is already a disk in the drive or something else is blocking them. If anyone has any ideas about this please let me know.

Hoping to get some more bits done soon which should really bring everything up to where I want the car to be, watch this space!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 05:19:30 pm »
Good upgrade! It sure makes a difference in the interior.  :happy2:

I'd contact the seller asking about the non functioning drive. If you want to upgrade your firmware or maps you'll need it to read the CD or DVD, not to mention if you want to watch a DVD movie or listen to music.

I hope it's easy to fix. It's repairable but I don't know at what cost if the seller doesn't take care of it.

Cheers

Offline Yorkie92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 07:52:20 pm »
Coming along well this car, good work  :happy2:

Offline JonnyM92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 08:28:51 pm »
Looks great.

How much did you pay for the RNS510 if you don't mind me asking. What extra bits (if any) did you need to get the sat nav working - GPS aerial etc.

Offline Timepillow

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 11:59:58 pm »
Great car there mate keep it up  :happy2:

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 01:39:13 pm »
Great car there mate keep it up  :happy2:
Coming along well this car, good work  :happy2:

Cheers, so far it's been well worth it, all I want to do is go driving now  :driver:

Looks great.

How much did you pay for the RNS510 if you don't mind me asking. What extra bits (if any) did you need to get the sat nav working - GPS aerial etc.

I paid £370 for it in the end (Still waiting to see if I can get that lower due to the drive not taking disks). It came with a GPS antenna, although I already had 1 installed from when I did the MFD2 so didn't actually use it, and all I needed extra was the antenna adaptor to convert the 2 single plugs into a dual plug which I got for about £7 next day delivery.

Seems like I'm doing something new to this car every weekend at the moment! This weekend it was time to say goodbye to the midline and hello to the highline  :jumping: Many thanks to Ed for coming over to fit it at stupidly short notice  :drinking: I also pulled all the XcarLink stuff out as I just don't see me using it with a hard drive and SD card reader built into the RNS, will probably upgrade the CD changer to MDI at some point but more things on the cards first  :party: Also need to see if I can get a replacement climate control panel as I scraped it when installing the MFD2 and now it's really bugging me!

Checking everything is as it should be before dropping it in

And it's in, along with the RNS510.

I'm loving that the directions from the nav show up on the screen of the highline which for some reason I thought only worked on the white highine, can't wait to get a MFSW in there so I can get the full benefit from it!

We also enabled the alarm chirp on lock as I have a habit of locking the car as I'm walking away from it, then when I've walked an annoying distance away thinking 'did it lock?!' then walking back only to find it did, now I can hear if it locks...it's the small things in life  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:41:12 pm by boardyuk »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 02:28:24 pm »
Another very good upgrade! With a full FIS you can do/see a lot more. Not sure if you have access to the Confort Menu that allows to program door un/locking, side-view mirror dipping, etc. It also allows you to get a PolarFIS module. :happy2:

I've recently upgraded my Climatronic control panel to the Mk6's generation so I have my old control panel available for sale. It's in mint condition. Send a PM if you're interested. You might consider do the same upgrade as well.

Cheers

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »
Car is looking better all the time Adam

can't say I noticed you taking pics while I was busy :signLOL:
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 09:55:19 pm »