Make a donation

Author Topic: My Mk5 2.0 GT  (Read 28345 times)

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88307.0.html
Re: My Mk5 2.0 GT
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2014, 02:17:25 pm »
Sooo after me saying that my Mk6 climate mod was the last one of the year, I found something at such a good price I couldn't pass them up. I've already been chatting with Ed and planning some mods for next year so that could be a pretty good year if it all comes off  :party:

Roll on a day and a delivery from Skoda arrived today  :jumping:

Wonder if anyone can guess what's in these boxes  :happy2:

More to come...(maybe this weekend)

Offline DamoP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 115
  • 2007 Edition 30 number 1242
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,86073.0.html
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »
Sooo after me saying that my Mk6 climate mod was the last one of the year, I found something at such a good price I couldn't pass them up. I've already been chatting with Ed and planning some mods for next year so that could be a pretty good year if it all comes off  :party:

Roll on a day and a delivery from Skoda arrived today  :jumping:

Wonder if anyone can guess what's in these boxes  :happy2:

More to come...(maybe this weekend)

skoda LED DRL's in the foglights
MDI Armrest & Glovebox kits
MDI looms , iPod, USB & lightening Iphone 5 leads
Armrests, cloth and leather
Retro fit Armrest 6 CD changer/Ipod dock kits

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2014, 11:11:39 am »
skoda LED DRL's in the foglights

10 points, was a bit of an easy one I suppose  :signLOL:

I've been down at my parents place in Reading for a while (back home tomorrow though) but while I've been here and after talking to my dad I've decided to spend a bit more time on keeping my car clean, he's always maintaining his in some way shape or form and they always look really good when he's done.

While I can't really do anything major to the car until the weather gets a bit warmer (and I get some more ££ for the bits I need), I decided to get myself some Rain-X to make it a little safer for the rainy days and nights driving. I was originally going to get some Gtechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass stuff but my dad convinced me to try Rain-X first as it's cheaper and also the stuff they recommend on his Porsche forum, so I figured why not!

A few goodies from Halfords

In my parents garage applying the Rain-X

I put 2 layers of Rain-X on the outside and when I tested with a spray bottle the water just runs straight off, very impressive! As I had the anti-fog stuff too I put 1 layer of that on inside to see if it will actually work, I'm a little dubious but we shall see.

Anyway, some pretty big mods coming up soon hopefully, parts are starting to stack up  :jumping: :jumping:

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2015, 01:44:51 pm »
Well after the drive back from my parents place I can safely say I will not be putting any more of the Rain-X Anti Fog rubbish on again, it didn't fog on the windscreen but caused a film of liquid to slowly run down which then blurred the entire window, which was fun! Luckily I wasn't far from my normal service station stop so I could wipe it off but need to get this rubbish off my window!

The exterior Rain Repellent on the other hand is absolutely fantastic. Driving along at 70mph with no wipers on in the rain and still being about to see out of the window is a new one for me, and I found it's also great fun seeing the sheer look of horror on peoples faces as you pass them with no wipers going when there's on on full whack  :signLOL: (Obviously I wouldn't exactly recommend not using your wipers...but it is funny).

Anyway, I've been ordering bits left right and center recently and a few of them turned up today.

New rear AC vent as the one in the car is broken and although I can't see it I know it's broken and has bugged me right from day one, nice cherry hazard button to replace the horrible standard one, a set of trim removal tools I kept on putting off getting, and last but not least got myself a VCDS cable to play around with  :fighting2:, luckily had an old laptop sitting around so that has now become my 'car' laptop  :happy2:

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:43 am »
Wow haven't updated this for a while. Done a fair amount to the car in the last month. Once I got hold of my VCDS cable I was able to start tinkering.

The first thing I did was upgrade my CECM to a 30 byte highline to get all the features (nearly) of that. I mainly wanted fogs as DRLs, cornering fogs and also keeping the functionality of the standard fogs, also coded in a few other little bits while I was at it. While I as doing that I also fixed my rear AC vent and installed the new cherry hazard switch.

Back in December I got myself some of the Fabia VRS LED fog DRL units to replace the standard fogs. Unknown to me was that the Fabia (and newer Mk5) has a completely different shape of lens on the fog light and even has a different mounting so a little modding was needed. I ended up grabbing some cheap GTI fogs off eBay and then swapping out the fronts for the Fabia ones, once that was done I needed to cut of one of the mounting clips leaving the 2 on one side holding the unit in. Works nicely enough and makes it look better I think (if I hadn't cracked one of the lenses in a 'you WILL come apart' moment anyway). Ed was a great help supplying the looms I needed to convert the standard VW 2pin plugs to Skoda 3pin ones and giving me a hand getting things in. The only issue I have with these is that the load on the LEDs isn't high enough to stop the bulb out light triggering so I've got that on the dash constantly at the moment, any ideas would be great!

I also had a moment of weakness and bought myself some Depo Projector head lights and a 5000k H7 Xenon conversion kit for them. I've always preferred the look of the projector lights to the standard reflectors but the cost has always put me off doing the mod. After a lot of reading up on the Depo units I decided to just go for it, at the price they were including the conversion kit I just couldn't say no. Ed came over to give me a hand with this as I wasn't 100% with removing the bumper myself and we also had a few load resistors to put on my fog lights to see if it could get rid of the bulb out warning. The swap out was pretty painless really. Everything tested out ok, I'd already coded the Xenons with no shutters while I was waiting for Ed to arrive to stop them flickering. The fog light load resistors while they did get rid of the bulb out warning, they got so hot you could put your hand 2-3cm away from the resistor and feel the heat. While it was nice to be able to do that on that windy day, it wouldn't have been so good in summer while constantly running so I decided I'd just live with the warning light for the time being and work on a plan B.

I've probably forgotten a load of stuff and will post pics up once I've sorted them out. My list of mods to do is decreasing pretty rapidly  :signLOL:

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2015, 07:33:07 pm »
Had a big day yesterday, @Eddie-NL came over and worked his magic on my car once again. This time we tackled the biggest job so far, swapping out my Mk5 highline for a Mk6 white display highline with blue needles. This however also meant swapping out the ABS pump and doing a brake bleed as the ABS pump that was in my car was too old for the cluster.

First off Ed got going on the ABS swap while I attacked the keys to replace the transponders over for the immobiliser without damaging the original transponders for if the car goes back to standard. The actual pump swap went pretty painlessly, then we got to doing the brake bleed and that's where the fun really began. Got all the way around the car without much feeling in the brake pedal at all, on the last wheel I pumped the pedal some really manky nasty fluid came out of the bleed nipple. It was shocking how bad it was! Once that was cleared the pedal felt far better than it had before.

With the pump changed and the brakes bled it was time to code the new pump in and make sure everything was ok. We went for a quick test drive once the coding was done and all seemed good with the brakes, ABS certainly kicks in when you hammer the pedal to the floor (also scares posties on push bikes too  :signLOL:) so back we came for the cluster fitting.

The cluster was a nice and simple unplug the old one and plug in the new one via the loom Ed made and code it up. Ed had done a lot of the prep work on the cluster before getting to my place as we'd been talking about doing the swap for a few weeks and he already knew my car pretty well. Anyway, here's the pics from the day and the new cluster just looks amazing. I'd like thank Ed once again for all his help on all of this  :happy2:

New Mk6 cluster with blue needles!

New ABS pump in

Testing the new cluster

And it's in

Looks amazing...

...looks even better when it's darker!!

See what I mean!

Depo projectors all setup and ready to go in from last post

Depo projectors in, working and looking niice
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:34:49 pm by boardyuk »

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2015, 07:46:27 pm »
Looking good. What a transformation  :congrats:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2015, 08:40:16 pm »
Yep some great mods there, I'm liking the OEM+ look you've achieved :-)
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92146.0.html
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2015, 09:23:49 am »
That is one sweet cluster! Looks brilliant! :laugh: Does the backlit dimming still work on this?

Offline georgekeemo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2015, 09:32:33 am »
The cluster looks awesome , i would really like to see a step by step tutorial about fitting these clusters on mk5. Tools needed ,looms ,oem codes for the cluster or abs pump. Headlights look great too. Cheers

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2015, 03:46:46 pm »
Thanks all  :smiley: Every time I start the car the staging on the cluster still brings a massive grin to my face, looks so much cleaner now.

The cluster looks awesome , i would really like to see a step by step tutorial about fitting these clusters on mk5. Tools needed ,looms ,oem codes for the cluster or abs pump. Headlights look great too. Cheers

If I knew the step by step for the whole procedure I'd happily try and do a tutorial for it as it's such an amazing mod to get done, however as Ed knows my car pretty well he was able to do an awful lot of the prep work for things before coming round to actually fitting it in the car. You may not need to swap out the ABS pump depending on the year of the car and version running in your car at the moment, mine was an 04 plate and had a pretty old revision pump so I had no option but to replace it with a newer version if I wanted this cluster. As far as fitting it in the Mk5 the internals from the Mk6 were swapped out into a Scirocco housing so it would fit perfectly in the Mk5 (There's a Youtube video of this being done for a colour screen) and Ed made up a loom which means the unit doesn't stick out at all, basically it looks like it's standard kit and looks brilliant.

If you want this doing I really do recommend having a chat to @Eddie-NL, the amount he knows about this stuff is staggering and has always been a massive help to me even when I panicked due to a flat battery when coding my new CECM :signLOL:

Offline cicco

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2015, 05:01:57 pm »
Headlights look good, how do the compare for visibility over the standard units?

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2015, 08:04:55 pm »
good work fella, should have come over for a look when I was over for my coding with ed.  :ashamed:
Pirelli GTI

Offline Georrge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93533.msg937034.html#msg937034
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:13 pm »
Nice improvements, looks lovely!

I think I'm going to have to get a set of the Depo headlights! What is the actual difference between the genuine Xenons and the Depo's?

Instagram @george_kersh

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2015, 12:43:10 pm »
Cheers  :smiley:

Headlights look good, how do the compare for visibility over the standard units?

The visibility is on another level to the standard units and I even had 130% XtremeVision bulbs in those which I thought were great! I can now drive on roads without using high beams that I used to need them and if I do kick the high beams on then it's like driving in daylight.

good work fella, should have come over for a look when I was over for my coding with ed.  :ashamed:

Yea same here, think I was fighting with getting the headlights out when you turned up if I remember right and then had to code Xenons in, by the time the swearing had stopped you were just leaving  :signLOL: Ah well, another time  :happy2:

Nice improvements, looks lovely!

I think I'm going to have to get a set of the Depo headlights! What is the actual difference between the genuine Xenons and the Depo's?

In all honesty I'm not 100% sure what the difference is. There's a blue Mk5 TDI that sometimes parks near my house with Xenons and I can't tell if they are genuine units or not, they look exactly the same.