Make a donation

Author Topic: Selling a car by auction on ebay.  (Read 893 times)

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Selling a car by auction on ebay.
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:33:32 am »
Anyone got any advice or tips when selling a car by auction on ebay, never done it before only via classified adverts so just don't want to get caught out. I'm going to make it clear in the ad that if you bid you're bidding to buy, viewing recommended before bidding, request a deposit via paypal within 24hrs & cash on collection.

Is there anything else I should be doing that I've missed out? or anything I should be wary of?
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Selling a car by auction on ebay.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:48:10 am »
One thing that really irritates me is that people auction their car and it doesn't reach the price they wanted so just before the end of the auction your bid gets cancelled and the car disappears , then to reappear a few days later in another auction ! Auctions for cars seems a bit of a hit and miss . I would make it a buy it now with a best offer type advert . GLWS
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:21:23 pm »
We once had the winner come to collect the car, all he did was view the car and then leave... I'd suggest a deposit prior to collection, like within 24 hours of the end of the auction.

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 01:11:23 pm »
Having sold many many cars on eBay my tips are this:
1. Make your listing clear, concise and without spelling errors - Use a maximum of 2 colours (i use black and highlight things like MOT dates in red). Make the text plain and simple, I use font 14.
2. Give facts about the car, don't ramble on about how good it's been etc you're sorry to see her go etc.
3. Be honest, highlight all the good points first but if their are negative points list them too.
4. Regardless of saying 'you're bidding to buy' the buyer has a right to check the goods match the description. This includes a test drive and a thorough examination of the car, this will give him/her a chance to see if the good and negative points are as described. If they do pick something up that you haven't mentioned be honest with them, you may not have noticed it or even completely forgotten about it....example glove box bulb blown.
5. Deposit prior to collection is always a tricky one especially on how they pay it.  PayPal isn't really set up for taking a deposit on an item on eBay, if they do pay direct to you via PayPl they are then not covered by the buyers guarantee.  Good communication will give you a sense of whether they are genuine or not.
6. Block or remove bids you feel are from unreliable or fake buyers, message them first to explain what you're going to do. If they are genuine they will reply. I always block bidders with less than 10 feedback unless they contact me first to bid.them negotiate w
7. The buy it now with best offer option is always my choice, it gives the buyer a ball park figure and lets them negotiate, eBay is all about a bargain so negotiating gives the buyer a feel good factor.
8. Pictures - Take the very best pictures you can, front, rear both sides, engine and interior. Use HD if you can and make sure the pictures can be zoomed in on the listing.
9. Questions - Never give out your mobile number on the listing, take questions and answer with a mobile number if they feel genuine. Answer ALL questions no matter how 'bone' they seem....one of them could be your buyer.
10. Caution - Bank drafts are very much the con of the moment so stay away, buy a cheap note checker and go with a cash sale. Get ID from the buyer when they arrive and if needed check it against the ebay account used to win the car.