Make a donation

Author Topic: New tyre time  (Read 5231 times)

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New tyre time
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:01:32 pm »
I need two new fronts, however slightly puzzled with the ratings on the car currently.  Front. Two are Y rating (Pirelli) and the ones on back (different make) are W rating.  Is it best to stick with how it is at the moment or change the fronts to a W rating to match the rears. 

Cheers

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
Re: New tyre time
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:20:34 pm »
Depends what the manufacturers factory fit tyre rating was. If it had W rated from new then W rated (or better) is what you need. If it had Y rated from the factory the you cannot fit W rated tyres. We;;, you can if you wish, but your insurance will most likely be invalid in the event of an accident.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:51:42 pm »
W is 168 mph and Y is 186 mph... Both exceed the cars requirement.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »
Dunno, is one a runflat? (avoid)

Wouldn't buy either.

Eagle F1 AS2: £82 (just had some delivered)
Vreds Sessanta: £72

Michelin Pilot Super Sport: Around £100

:happy2:

Gary27

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:54:13 pm »
Your payin more for the one with mo cox it's mercy fitment y not try a tyre call cooper cs sport they excellent and I work with tyres and tried many different makes and I like the coopers

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:50 pm »
Depends on the car. As I recall the Mk5 R32 is a Y rated tyre, and I'm not certain but some people have said they had Y rated tyres from new on the Ed 30.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 08:21:02 pm »
The tyres don't have to be Pirelli, it's only because they are on the car at the moment.  If the michelins are a better tyre and cheaper then that's all good,  first time in buying 'bigger' tyres rather than the usual ones for 15/16 inch wheels of which I've been so used to in the past.

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 08:33:40 pm »

You should fail an MOT if you fit tyres with a speed rating with a maximum rating lower than the claimed maximum speed of the car ,heard stories years ago about police stopping a cossie and impounding it because cars top speed exceeded the rating on the tyres which don't really make any sense as the speed limits 70 Max , and how are remolds legal I know their speed rated now but when this happened you could get remolds rated at 85 Max

Having written this down I think the key work might be story! Any MOT testers or police confirm this is right or not

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »
W rating is fine
Michelin Pilot sport 3s on camskil £94 each delivered, in my oppinion best tyre out there for all round road use and those ones are Y rated too  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 09:16:44 pm »
I'm not arguing that they're not fine. What I'm arguing is that if you fit and use tyres with a lower speed / load rating than the type approved factory fit tyres then your insurance company will happily reject any insurance claim which they believe could have been compounded by the reduced capability of those tyres.

And I'm not going to resort to shouting to make a point, just confirm it with your insurers if you wish to reduce the tyre specifications....  :happy2:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:26:35 pm »
I'm not arguing that they're not fine. What I'm arguing is that if you fit and use tyres with a lower speed / load rating than the type approved factory fit tyres then your insurance company will happily reject any insurance claim which they believe could have been compounded by the reduced capability of those tyres.

And I'm not going to resort to shouting to make a point, just confirm it with your insurers if you wish to reduce the tyre specifications....  :happy2:

I can see the safety argument your insurers could make for the load rating, but the speed rating doesn't imply that a higher speed rated tyre is safer at legal speeds than a lower rated tyre.

Ps: I wouldn't personally go with a lower rating, but there are plenty of GTIs and other performance cars out there being run on a shoestring with bargain tyres.

Also worth noting, the MOT is only looking at condition and wear of your tyres. The MOT regs don't mandate speed rating compliance with manufacturers specs.
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:40:55 pm »
The Goodyear ass2 seem to be a better grade fuel wise also than the Michelin ones.. And same price, this does help diff ones being suggested as it's always good to hear people's views regarding these

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 10:17:12 pm »

This is a MK5 Golf GTI Forum, primarily; hence the naming convention, thoughts and opinions are kept to spec. (usually)… your thoughts, ARE, although warranted for the wider market, secondary to the thread and OP. I’m sure you realise this. VOTE YES.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:23:45 pm »
GTI's are meant to have 225/40/18 92Y XL as standard.

Michelin recommend the PSS now and are £150 fitted at Costco but before then they said PS3's as they are £107 fitted at Costco (at the moment you get a £30 voucher on 2 tyres and £70 on 4 tyres).

Or there's the assy 2 from good year you can get for sub £100 or the vreds are a good mid range tyre.