Make a donation

Author Topic: Went through a red light..  (Read 3666 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Went through a red light..
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:04:46 pm »
Evening Folks,
Just wanted to pick your collective brains on what happened this afternoon on the way home from work.

I'm stopped at a 4 way junction (one of the main ones in Manchester) - my lights are on red and traffic is building behind me. Im in the middle of three lanes and the first car in my lane.
Lights are still on red when i heard a gentle beep from behind. I look back and see police lights flashing and cars trying to clear a path.
I edge past the stop line but pretty much the whole car and then some is over the line in order for the 2 police cars pass.
By now im proving to be a major obstruction in this junction so i check theres no danger - none as everyone is still at their lines - and proceed to go straight over.
Theres no way i could have safely reversed as the cars behind me had piled forward.
Threre is a traffic camera at my set of lights but didnt see it flash (no reason for it not to flash though).

In the eyes of the traffic laws, have i committed an offence?
Does anyone know if the powers to be actually check the photos before sending out notices of intended prosecution?

i just cant help worrying and await the ticket to come through the post...

Thanks

Rich

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Went through a red light..
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »
You have committed an offence. People have been prosecuted for this offence before and the general concensus is that you should stop and wait for the Police to find a way round you. Unless one of the officers specifically signals you to move on in which case the red light offence is trumped by the argument that you were obeying the instructions of the Police Officer.

So, I presume the Police Officer signaled you to move forward, did he?
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:45:05 pm »
You have committed an offence. People have been prosecuted for this offence before and the general concensus is that you should stop and wait for the Police to find a way round you. Unless one of the officers specifically signals you to move on in which case the red light offence is trumped by the argument that you were obeying the instructions of the Police Officer.

There was no way i could physically move out of the way to let the police cars through without passing the line. There was no way they could pass without me moving. If i have committed an offence then so be it, i will take it. but if a similar thing happens in the future, i might just stay put, even if its an ambulance with someone dying on board. Its the only way to obey the law really..

Rich
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:40:49 pm by richtung »

Offline rosscoe63

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:31:47 pm »
Id refer to Vikings interpretation again.....maybe........ :wink:

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:37:44 pm »
I'm sure the Police Officer would have motioned you to pass through the light. Otherwise you wouldn't have done so, would you?

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 08:42:44 pm »
Id refer to Vikings interpretation again.....maybe........ :wink:

I'm sure the Police Officer would have motioned you to pass through the light. Otherwise you wouldn't have done so, would you?

jeez! i need to stop glancing through replies!

Yes of course, why else would i even consider venturing into a 4 way junction whilst my lights on red?!?!?!?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 08:48:18 pm »
This is one of those situations where technically you're in the wrong even though you had the best of intentions but you could fight it and definitely win.

Imagine that headline if you were prosecuted. If you do get fined then fight it to the end. You've done what any other person would do in your position.

I'd also recommend in the future getting a dash cam if you don't alresdy have one. That cam would show you clearly moving out of the way and the police passing you by.

Mine has helped me to no end with silly things and just yesterday I direct wired it to my fuse box so it starts and stops automatically with my engine.

Just aomethjng to keep in mind.

Let us know how you get on!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 09:10:41 pm »
Was this on the main road out of Manchester heading South? (I forget the road name)

If the cameras did catch you, they would have caught the police too which leaves you open to defend yourself as following an instruction of a police officer.

Also it will be clear from the photo that you weren't "running the light" as you would have moving very slowly (creeping past the line).

As you didn't see it flash, then I wouldn't worry  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:29:17 pm »
Was this on the main road out of Manchester heading South? (I forget the road name)

If the cameras did catch you, they would have caught the police too which leaves you open to defend yourself as following an instruction of a police officer.

Also it will be clear from the photo that you weren't "running the light" as you would have moving very slowly (creeping past the line).

As you didn't see it flash, then I wouldn't worry  :happy2:

yeah, its Chester road as its passes kingsway / A514. I was Northbound heading into Manchester.
I cant remember if i was even looking for the camera flash as i was mainly looking forward to get my car into a decent position.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 09:39:21 pm »
Ahh right ok. I work in Manc but get the train in so don't have a clue about road names  :laugh:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Tazgti5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 10:51:58 pm »

You haven't a clue what your talking about mate

Offline MizGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 04:25:11 am »
Mate if the points do come through dont take them. Appeal to go to court. When the judge hears your side of the story, no one with a slight bit of common sense will prosecute you. Also the camera is far back enough to see others moving out the way.

Good luck.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 07:07:31 am »

You haven't a clue what your talking about mate

I'm so glad you're here to correct my mistake.  :happy2:

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this? Link.

Or perhaps you would like to comment on this? Link.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:16:54 am by Viking »

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 08:35:07 am »
Red light cameras also have a speed function and only activate for speeds in excess of 10mph (IIRK).  The link in Tazgti's post talks of the "offender" going through a red light at 12mph, 30 seconds after the light went red.  No-one in their right minds would think that's OK - surely?  But walking pace = common sense.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 08:55:26 am »
Speed through a red light is not relevant to the offence really. It might stop you getting flashed if you go through below the trip speed (if there is one set) but the offence is still the same. I've heard of someone even being done by the Police car they moved through the light to clear the way for. Although that was also on an internet forum so maybe that wasn't true.