Make a donation

Author Topic: Detailing or valeting? What's the difference  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
Detailing or valeting? What's the difference
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:19 pm »
I quite like spending my weekends cleaning my car inside & out... But I'm no "detailer". Not even close!

I was wanting to get more into it, but what exactly is "detailing" to you? I can "valet" a car no bother - to me that's just a wash, wax, an interior hoover and a bit of a general tidy up..

But how do I get started with the more in-depths stuff and what can it actually involve? I have clay that I've never used and I've just purchased the autoglym case thing for £55 (is it good?), the one that has the shampoo, wax, polish etc etc in it!

Help meeeee  :laugh:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Re: Detailing or valeting? What's the difference
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:07:13 pm »
Best bit of advice would be to sign up to 'detailing world' loads and loads of good info about detailing. It's like a valet but just turned up to the next level.

For me I wash, decon paint work then polish and finally use a wax or sealant to protect the finish. I do that twice a year, in the spring then again about this time of year. Then once you've done that just pre wash, wash, dry as your maintenance wash routine in between the big 'details'.

That's the bare basics I guess. there's much more such as glass sealants, QD, machine polishing etc. I stated detailing about this time last year and I'm still learning loads now
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:09:37 pm by Chris92 »

Offline BlueSmokeyJoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:03:36 pm »
For me, 'detailing' is taking the regular maintenance of your vehicle to the next level. After basic washing etc, you will want to look into freeing your paint of any contamination, then exploring paint correction by using a variety of polishing compounds to remove fine scratches to your clearcoat to restore and enhance the level of gloss for you paintwork.

After this comes the protection stage whereby you want to safeguard your hard work with a sealant and/or wax to help provide a protective layer on the cars body.

Other areas to consider 'detailing' would often include, interior/upholstery, wheels/tyres, engine bay, exhaust, glass/rubbers.

Some products that I'm using at the moment to very good effect is the Sonax range. If there is anything you'd like to know, give us guys at CleanYourCar a call or drop me PM  :happy2:

Zach.

Offline GS WAX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:31:15 pm »
For me, 'detailing' is taking the regular maintenance of your vehicle to the next level. After basic washing etc, you will want to look into freeing your paint of any contamination, then exploring paint correction by using a variety of polishing compounds to remove fine scratches to your clearcoat to restore and enhance the level of gloss for you paintwork.

After this comes the protection stage whereby you want to safeguard your hard work with a sealant and/or wax to help provide a protective layer on the cars body.

Other areas to consider 'detailing' would often include, interior/upholstery, wheels/tyres, engine bay, exhaust, glass/rubbers.

Some products that I'm using at the moment to very good effect is the Sonax range. If there is anything you'd like to know, give us guys at CleanYourCar a call or drop me PM  :happy2:

Zach.

My how things have changed,looks like I have been parking cars for the last 30 years.....I will remember that when I place my next order, do I get extra discount if I call myself a Detailer :smiley:

That's a basic old skool ( pre DW and the garden centre hand car wash) Valet,Hmmm, Paint correction :signLOL:, that's a job for Body/paint re-finnishers not hobbyists on the drive, and not with a RO Polisher either,Fixed DA or Rotary only for correction as you call it, one cant re-finnish properly with RO(and that includes Rupes)
 CYC= :happy2:
Sonax= :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:33:27 pm by GS WAX »

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 11:24:35 pm »
What kit it did you get?
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/cleaning-kits/autoglym-perfect-bodywork-wheels-and-interior-gift-collection
Its a good base to start from I would say.  First off, get rid off the sponge and leather, these are a no-no. Get a noodle wash mitt or similar. both available in Halfords. Sponge will push dirt around the paint=swirls  :fighting: . A mitt will lift the dirt. Second, buy two buckets, one for shampoo and one for rinsing your mitt. Get two plasterers buckets. These are really big and cost about 4£ each, from B&Q, Homebase. Next, nice big microfibre drying towel. Homebase sell these, Kent drying towels. You should add as well a pre-cleaner to soak the dirt and make it easier to wash. Halfords sell Demon Rapid dirt shifter which is wax friendly and wont strip your wax.

Hope that helps  :happy2:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:29 am »
Valeting is usually about cleaning a car without making specific efforts to improve the appearance of the paintwork itself.
Detailing usually incorporates paint enhancement and attention to the finer details as well, above and beyond a "valet".