Make a donation

Author Topic: Festool RO 150 - Opinions  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Festool RO 150 - Opinions
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:32:28 am »
I've been wanting to buy a DAS 6 for sometime now but it keeps getting pushed back down the priority list, however I was round at my brothers house the other day and noticed that he had a Rotex RO 150 for work: https://www.festool.co.uk/Products/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?pid=571808&name=Geared-eccentric-sander-ROTEX-RO-150-FEQ-Plus-GB-240V

I've done a search online and it seems a few detailers do use these and they're often highly rated by some people. Has anyone on here had any experience with them and would you recommend it for a beginner?

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: Festool RO 150 - Opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:48:58 am »
I'm no expert and as a beginner I wouldn't use it.
Das6 is an orbital machine so there's less chance of damaging your paint work.
That one is a rotary so it spins on a fixed pivot and more chance of damaging your paint if you don't know what your doing.

This will explain it better than I can...
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?12996-Rotary-Buffers-versus-Random-Orbital-Polishers

I got a das6 pro for £100 delivered from clean your car with a discount code.

Offline Alzak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:48:43 am »
Got one bought with systainer kit and have to say is a really pleasure to work with this machine.

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 02:24:12 pm »
@AndyBrown Yeah, that's what I initially thought but after reading up it appears that there's 2 settings to it(one DA and one Rotary): http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/other-projects/1874-polishing-your-car-rotex-part-2-a.html Maybe I'll have to get a scrap bonnet and test it out first. Seems pointless buying a new polisher if this will do the job and is easy to use.

@Alzak That's good to know, would you recommend it for a beginner or is more for experienced detailers?

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 11:44:09 pm »
Machine polishers are really not fire spitting machine guns as everyone makes out.

Its all in the prep work as well. Get a good range of pads and polish and start with the softest pad and least aggressive polish. You'll be amazed what a difference they make to hand application, even AutoGlym super resin polish with a finishing pad is  :love: . Only been using my DA for 6 months, bought it last year with the Megs microfibre system (comes with cutting compund and finishing compound with cutting discs and finishing discs)....and its like crack  :scared: Stepped up a bit with Hexlogic pads recently; yellow(agressive cut) green(medium cut) black(light cut/finishing) with Megs compound 105 &205.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5ueno4hgr87vmilgec4qgnbk2j&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 11:48:05 pm »

"This is my foam lance. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My foam lance is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. Without me, my foam lance is useless. Without my foam lance, I am useless. I must fire my foam lance true. I must shoot straighter than my fellow detailors"

Hahahaha