Make a donation

Author Topic: R32 rear on a GTI. Cheap R32 style exhaust options  (Read 1717 times)

Offline MrJohnVas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Work in progress website
R32 rear on a GTI. Cheap R32 style exhaust options
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
I've been offered a genuine R32 rear for my GTI (hi if you're on the forum  :drinking:)

The seller has a miltek non-res catback with it  :laugh:, but I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of these exhausts (only found a handful of vids online of the r32 style non-res catback on a gti, all of which are standstill vids of a revving car as opposed to it being driven).

Failing the miltek, what is the cheapest option available to me, which will allow me to run an R32 rear end w/R32 style exhaust, but still sound OEM(+) and not too loud. (Want to decat later on down the line using a Turborevs decat from eBay and don't want the hassle of needing to chop and weld etc...).

I know similar topics have been covered before, but after searching the web and this forum I couldn't find exactly what I was after.

Vas

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 34
Re: R32 rear on a GTI. Cheap R32 style exhaust options
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 11:33:49 am »
Im sure you will be happy with the milltek on boost

Other then that the cheapest route would be to have a custom backbox made
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 11:37:54 am »
From what I've seen you have 3 options, you go full cat back system from someone like Miltek or BCS, an ebay back box or a custom straight pipe section.

I have an ebay back box on my TDI and it sounds just like OEM, no noise increase at all.
A custom straight pipe will be as loud as hell as it'll have no sound deadening in it at all.
A Miltek/BCS will be a nice compromise of the 2. 

Overall I think the custom pipe is the cheapest (depending on who you get to do it) followed closely by the ebay back box, then the Miltek/BCS is a fair bit pricier but if you look at what you get its clear to see you get what you pay for.

Offline MrJohnVas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Work in progress website
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:01:14 pm »
Thanks all! Doesn't seem like many other cheap options...

With the Miltek catback, how would I fit a Turborevs decat from eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUD-A3-VW-GOLF-2-0T-TURBO-3-STAINLESS-STEEL-EXHAUST-DECAT-DOWNPIPE-DE-CAT-/380861796775?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58ad21d1a7

Would the above need a chop or would it be a straight fit?