Make a donation

Author Topic: Normal running noise?  (Read 792 times)

Offline jamesonhurst

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Normal running noise?
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:02:45 pm »
Hi all,

I've recently bought my first GTi MK5 (a 2005, manual 3 door) and am loving it. I'm inherently a little paranoid when it comes to getting a new (used) vehicle and am also used to riding noisy motorbikes.

Everything about the car seems fine but it makes a bit of a whine/drone at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gears which is most noticeable inside the cabin. When you've got the window open and listening to the car from the outside, all you can hear is the lovely burble from the exhaust. This whine/drone is not noticeable when revving the car at stationary, only when moving.

Am I worrying about nothing? Is this the normal running noise of the GTi?

Cheers

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Normal running noise?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 02:04:29 pm »
When I had mine at the start I thought the same thing, could only hear it again in 1st/2nd usually on a quiet night driving in the estate where there was no other noise.

It's just the engine noise! Although if you're ever in doubt, find someone nearby with a GTI and try theirs!

Offline jamesonhurst

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »
Thanks! Good to know.

If anyone else could confirm just to get a 2nd opinion that would be great!

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:21:44 pm »
57 reg, manual, 35k. I have no idea what you mean sorry buddy. Never noticed anything.

dansmith180

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 06:41:03 pm »
05 3dr gti manual, I have noticed some whining at slow speeds 1st and 2nd gear mostly when no throttle or very light throttle. I just assumed it's the gearbox doing its thing, if it became a grinding or knocking then I'd be worried but whining isnt normally a worry.