Make a donation

Author Topic: Breakdown Cover?  (Read 7038 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Breakdown Cover?
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:16:57 am »
Need new cover, been with Greenflag for years and they are annoying/hassling me but there's too many options.  :confused:

Is the choice just AA or RAC? Onward travel worth it? Cover the car or person?

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Breakdown Cover?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:51 am »
Need new cover, been with Greenflag for years and they are annoying/hassling me but there's too many options.  :confused:

Is the choice just AA or RAC? Onward travel worth it? Cover the car or person?

have a look at start rescue. They are pretty good

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:51:55 am »
I get mine (RAC) via the bank as part of a package - never had to use it so can't give any feedback. I'm sure you can get RAC through tesco club card points - if you have any

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:27:55 pm »
Give VW Assistance a call - £89 a year for roadside, recovery, at home, onward travel and European cover.  They are contracted out by the AA and I have it on good authority from an AA employee who is a friend of mine that we have priority over normal AA customers.  I was also told this by an RAC man who came out to me when the RAC had the contract.  Like for like cover through the AA website came out at over £200 so it's good value :happy2: They're also more likely to carry basic VW parts like coilpacks.  I've had cover with them since I bought my car 7 years ago and on the occasions I've needed them I've had no complaints.

From the website:
Dedicated technicians.
Through our partnership with the AA, you have access to qualified Volkswagen Group dedicated Technicians, all in specially equipped vehicles. We're also supported by the AA, the UK's No. 1 breakdown provider**, whose aim is to get you back on the road as fast as possible.

By working in conjunction with the AA, your call will be covered anywhere in the UK and across Europe 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. See Terms and Conditions for a full list of countries covered.

Dedicated call centre.
The Volkswagen Roadside Assistance team will be able to support you during any breakdown experience or accident.

With you all the way
Roadside assistance – we’ll attend to your car at the roadside anywhere in the UK
Vehicle recovery – includes delivery of your car to any UK destination including Volkswagen retailer network
Home assistance – assistance if you’ve broken down at home
Onward Travel – in the event of recovery following breakdown, where your vehicle cannot be repaired within a reasonable time, we may in our absolute discretion organise and cover the costs of one of the following - car hire for up to 48 hours, overnight accomodation for you and up to 7 pasengers or alternative transport for you and up to 7 passengers
European assistance – includes cover across the continent, English-speaking incident managers and transport back to the UK if necessary
Dedicated Volkswagen Roadside Assistance patrols carrying only genuine Volkswagen parts and tools
Trained Volkswagen technicians using Volkswagen state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment
Supported by the AA, with more dedicated patrols than all other UK breakdown services put together*

VW Assistance - 0800 777 192

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/assistance
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:30:41 pm by Golfgirl »

FOR SALE!

dansmith180

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 05:19:18 pm »
I've got an RAC policy as part of a big family policy but I've never had to use it so can't comment on service etc.. However my parents have been with them since 1997 so I'm guessing they're not sh*t  :laugh:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 05:28:12 pm »
Have a search around on quidco, topcash back etc, there is always some sort of a deal going ....obviously for new customers only  :stupid:....so just switch every year  :pomppomp:
I have the family deal which covers upto 4cars AA & 5 cars RAC. Peace of mind to know the kids are all covered whatever car they are in.
Waiting for £70 back through Essex extras scheme, through Essex county council, where the mrs works. Takes upto 3 months to get it back.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:44 pm »
Thanks peeps, some awesome info there. Narrowed it down to AA or RAC......no surpise there!  :laugh:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Dave(tm)

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89462.0.html
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:16:37 pm »
I'm with the AA. They like to try it on with the price every year, but when I've actually used them, they've been great.

The wife and I have a joint membership for whatever car we are in - works out most cost effective for us.

Dave

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:46 pm »
So do most people purchase breakdown cover? Never really bothered with it before.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

dansmith180

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 10:35:46 pm »
So do most people purchase breakdown cover? Never really bothered with it before.

I've never had to use it before but its nice to know if the car does break down I don't have to pay a silly tow bill and I won't have to wait ages. However in the last 5 years all 4 policy holders haven't made a call so technically wasted a bunch of money.

I think its more for if the wife and kids get stuck on the side of the road or you're in an awkward spot.

Offline GT170

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
  • Petrol Head
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 07:33:07 am »
I cancelled my policy when I upgraded my Natwest account, just doesn't seem worth having it separate anymore.
Now have my third Golf
1st  in 1994 - 1983 GTI Mark 1
2nd in 2002  - 2002 GTI 2.0 Mark 4
3rd in 2014   - 2007 GT TSI 170

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 08:42:08 am »
just some indication on price, I paid £55 for nationwide recovery, homestart, accident recovery the lot (apart from european cover) that was with start rescue

Offline Dave(tm)

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89462.0.html
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 07:25:05 pm »

I've never had to use it before but its nice to know if the car does break down I don't have to pay a silly tow bill and I won't have to wait ages. However in the last 5 years all 4 policy holders haven't made a call so technically wasted a bunch of money.

I think its more for if the wife and kids get stuck on the side of the road or you're in an awkward spot.

Similar for me. I haven't used it for years (touch wood) but have in the past. It's worth it for the one time you DO need it in my opinion. Whether it's me or the wife, perhaps with the kids or on a long journey...as I say I've found it invaluable and gives us piece of mind.

Dave

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 08:11:44 pm »
Try your insurance company, I got mine last year to cover driving around Europe and I paid £38 for the works (Adrian flux)

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 01:19:12 pm »
Just got me £71 back from RAC last night  :drinking:
So that's 4 cars with relay, no home start, £220-£71=£37.25 each any car your in.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder