Make a donation

Author Topic: Curing squeaky brakes.  (Read 1891 times)

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
Curing squeaky brakes.
« on: January 16, 2015, 03:32:08 pm »
I have an irritating problem of the rear brakes squeaking. The brakes were replaced around 8 months ago and never made any noise at all from them. When it started I had a look and the pads and disks were fine, so I just cleaned the pads, calipers and disks, sanded the face of the pad then greased and re fitted and they are still doing it now!

Is it common for them to do this on the golf?
How hard can it be?

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
Re: Curing squeaky brakes.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:33:02 pm »
I heard about issues with rear piston sticks and will need rebuilding...or buy new ones. That might be the issue?

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:56:21 pm »
I tried to replace the rear discs/pads on my brother's ED30 over Christmas as he was complaining of the same issue, his wheels were caked in brake dust and the inner faces of the discs were destroyed. Turns out the pistons in both calipers were completely jammed, 2 new calipers later and it was all sorted.

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:31:24 pm »
Great! Hope it isn't a sticking caliper, that will be all I need!

Also noticed the front n/s outer cv boot has ripped and all the grease is everywhere! Having no luck with this car.  :fighting:
How hard can it be?