Make a donation

Author Topic: My BSH Catch Can experience.  (Read 15062 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
My BSH Catch Can experience.
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:05:32 pm »
I bought mine from Ebay before the group buy was announced and compared to the Buy it Now price I had a bit of a result. Less than 7 days later the group buy was announced at a much reduced price, oh well some you wil some you lose.
It was dispatched quite quickly and I received it in 1 or 2 days. All good so far. Myself and vRStu fitted it the following Sunday and noticed there was only 3 jubilee clips, once again oh well.

Over the coming days I start to notice a bit of an engine oil smell and the car is not quite pulling as well as it had. I looked at the hoses and right angle connectors and found that they had distorted and were squashed flat. Having seen this it was removed and the OEM PCV replaced. As the group buy was well under way I kept things very low key and PM'd Dubtek.
The response from Dubtek was "Could you send me back the bits you need replacing so I can send some pics to BSH to report the problem you've had, and to replace them with the right bits please?"

Sounds promising I thought. I did offer to take the pictures myself but was told "If the kit is off the car then I'd prefer to see the failed part myself. We make hoses and fittings, so for the 2 reasons in my last pm i'd like to make my own judgement on it and do a proper report to BSH for you, if its a genuine design fault they are going to want some detailed info."

This exchange happened on the 5th September and once again I was not concerned so I put them in the post and waited.

On the 15th September I PM'd Dubtek once again.
"Hi,

Well it has been a week now so I was wondering what your thoughts were and where we go from here?

If you prefer my mobile number is 07xxx xxxxxx.

Regards,
Ian."

Bens response said he was waiting on word from BSH and offered to send me some steel replacements. Winner I thought, in my reply I also asked if I could purchase some more rubber hose as I planned to relocate it.

Nothing happened so I PM'd Ben again on the 24th September and said "I understand you are busy with the group buy at the moment but if you have a moment I was wondering where we are with this."

and was told

"No worries, not forgotten about you, awaiting stock of 10 x new steel replacement fittings which should be with me Monday - will forward them on asap - please send me your name/address details though as they weren't enclosed in the returned fittings envelope."

So I replied with my postal address and that has been the last I heard from Dubtek/Ben at that time. I PM'd him on the 5th October asking what was happening but received no response and also PM'd him again asking what the score was.

On advice from Quality Dave I rang Ben and spoke to him and he promised to put something in the post. I then received 2 very large metal fittings which are completely unusable. I tried calling him again and one of the people in the office gave me his email address so I emailed him but received no response.

I gave it another couple of weeks, so we are now talking early November. I called him and he said that he would do something for me in the coming week or so. After I waited the alloted time with no response I thought, as Phil @ BSH was now on the forum, I would contact him.

I tried PM'ing him and then subsequently emailing him last week at his request, which I have had no response to.

Some of you will ask why I am writing this, I think ultimately I guess I am writing this as I am a bit miffed at being ignored and I would like some support regarding the product I have bought. I would have been and bought some of the fittings myself but they are some strange US thread so not freely available over here.

I still wish to try and engage Dubtek and resolve my problems, which he has promised to do, but now more than 2 months after first contacting him I still have my catch can sat in its box in the garage.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: My BSH Catch Can experience.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 01:13:06 pm »
The end of day mate u have done the correct thing by speaking your mind on the site as thats what make the forum great as its not biased to any of the tuners out there.  :smiley: good luck mate and keep us informed how u get on

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 01:20:04 pm »
can you show us the pictures?

I have been speaking with BSH lately for our stuff, so i might be able to help

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:06 pm »
Good luck Ian, i know youve been sat on your Hands for along time, and hope he will sort this out. Hope that your kit is not the same as the others, or this could be a massive problem for BSH to resolve.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:45:52 pm »
was it from an official BSH reseller on ebay....or someone "pretending" that it was the BSH kit when it fact it may be a crap copy?

thats ebay for you tho...anything goes! hence why i'll never use it.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:04:31 pm »
was it from an official BSH reseller on ebay....or someone "pretending" that it was the BSH kit when it fact it may be a crap copy?

It was from Dubtek.

I am at the point now where it has been so long that any help would be greatly appreciated. All I am after are the 3 plastic right angles.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 02:14:05 pm »

It was from Dubtek.

I am at the point now where it has been so long that any help would be greatly appreciated. All I am after are the 3 plastic right angles.

oh!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 02:25:20 pm »
All I am after are the 3 plastic right angles.

Can I suggest getting 3 of these brass boys instead?
http://www.hkl-gaspower.co.uk/default.aspx?p=1357

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:29:50 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 03:27:43 pm »
Have to say that I've not had the best experience with dubtek and previous BSH products, in the end I got my money back via paypal but it caused a shed load of stress. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out.... but overall the catch can hasn't been thought trough in anyway shape or form for vehicles outside of the US and owners having to bodge pipe routes, fittings etc in my mind is unacceptable and very unprofessional of the company and distributor who's in the eyes of the law responsible for providing a satisfactory product.

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 03:29:05 pm »
For what it's worth I am having a similar experience - with an order for BSH droplinks.  These were ordered on 23 Oct and I'm still waiting on these.

Ben informs me that these may have been lost in the post.  I'm inclined to give Ben the benefit of the doubt as he comes across as a genuine and helpful person over the phone.

Fingers-crossed... I hope you get your stuff sorted. I feel your pain  :scared:

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 07:09:29 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problems Hedge and hope that they get sorted soon.

Personally I do believe BSH have a quality set of products and your problem lies more in the distribution of them in the UK as they are a new brand over here and hence do not have many spare parts or products available.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:12:07 pm by KRL »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »
[subscribing to this thread with interest in the outcome]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 10:48:08 pm »
i ve not fitted mine yet cause read too many stories on here , why did nt the kit come with metal elbows ?? the plastic ones do look very flimsey  :sad1:

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:03 am »
This was the reason for selling mine.. first i did not like how the blanking plate did not sit flush to the block.. also how the valves had to be cut short which had an effect that you could not screw them up fully tight.

Also the mounting situation was very poor as i felt it wasn't thought out enough & was the final straw for me.. im considering the forge but the price is ridiculous & the fact that you have to change the water bottle feed which i feel is unnecessary.. why not just mount on the opposite side of the engine therefore removing the need for the new water bottle feed & reducing manufacturer costs

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 09:38:21 am »

Also the mounting situation was very poor as i felt it wasn't thought out enough & was the final straw for me..

....BSH didn't have the forethought to sufficiently consider the European market and the fact that the cars here have a charcoal cannister fitted. However, some of us have been creative and found various mounting positions on the other side, but they all have to then accommodate your chosen air intake if it's aftermarket. BSH aren't internationally biassed enough for my liking.

Which reminds me that I said I'd try and source a charcoal can for them. :rolleye:

im considering the forge but the price is ridiculous & the fact that you have to change the water bottle feed which i feel is unnecessary.. why not just mount on the opposite side of the engine therefore removing the need for the new water bottle feed & reducing manufacturer costs

....I agree. Small point as it may seem to be, but I like to see the level of washer fluid I'm topping up in the oem neck feed. The Forge is a clever solution and the tank looks good, but..

On the other hand, you can never fault the high standard of Forge engineering - Always superb. I'm looking forward to getting their Twintake.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!