Make a donation

Author Topic: creaking after lowering springs Help!  (Read 6846 times)

Offline bulak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
creaking after lowering springs Help!
« on: January 24, 2015, 08:41:55 pm »
Hi peeps

Mk5 gti 2007

Had H&R 30mm springs put on brand new bought from awesome gti.  After 2 days I could hear a creak (spring being tighten to much/bit of a clicking sound) normally when im parking or just pulling away on both left and right side.

Took it back to my mechanic who said sounds like your top mounts. He said the cold weather can make them noisy and just see how you go. That was over 2months ago, so I booked it in today to have them done. After they where done checked it over and no noise so I was really pleased.  I drove home and was parking up and notice the same sh*tty creaking noise which im gutted about. Took it back to the mechanic and said it still sounds like the top mounts as hes heard that noise 100 times before.

Also noticed its more noisy if two people are sat at the front and if we both jump out and turn the wheel the noise goes away so something to do with load.

Im bit annoyed cause I spent £100 today and still no better off
I have had cv boots already done

Anyone had the same problem?  Any suggestions

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:08:06 pm by bulak »

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: creaking after lowering springs Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:58:43 pm »
I've lowered two cars (two civics) on springs, and they've both ended up creaking when performing low-speed manvoures. Just lived with it!

I know that's not what you wanted to hear though... I just leave my cars alone these days  :grin:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline bulak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 09:05:12 pm »
Lol

I had another mk5 gti 2 years before lowered on eibach never made a noise. Its got so be something simple

The mechanic suggested to put like a rubber cup on top of the spring before going in to the top mount

Would something like that work? Is it called a bump stop

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:11:04 pm »
I had a seat Ibiza that did the same. I greased the top mounts up and re fitted and it seemed to make the noise less noticeable.
How hard can it be?

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 10:40:56 pm »
Mine would do this the odd time with 30mm H&Rs, not enough to annoy me though.

Offline bulak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:10:12 am »
Made a little video you can hear it towards the end

Watch "Mk5 gti suspension noise after lowering" on YouTube
Mk5 gti suspension noise after lowering:

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:50:18 am »
Are any of your bushes worn?

What wheels are you running?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline bulak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:13:08 am »
A low arm bush was worn and replaced same time car was lowered mechanic said all the other bushes seem fine. while driving I dont hear any knocking or banging just this noise when im parking up.

Original monza alloys 18inch

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:27:25 pm »
I had the exact same thing before I put coilies on my mk4, changed loads of stuff till I found the problem was the shock itself, it used to creak a lot when parking (turning left to right) just do a quick check... Open your bonnet push down on 1 side of the cars wing really hard (don't bounce just put some weight on it) and do it on the Inside of the wing not on the actual paint, and then put your fingers/hands under the wing and gently lift the car upwards try it a few times... Slow / gently / bit faster and see if you hear the creaking... Had this on an Audi tts aswell and those shocks are silly expensive, us GTI peeps are ok lol :-) hope you find your problem I hate those annoying noises you can't find!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:41:06 am »
I've replaced two front upper spring mount bearings...not the mounts, but the bearings alone for falling apart into two pieces and losing their inner ball bearings. These are one upgrade I would love to find because I am hearing the noise again for the third time.  :sad1:
I think it is due to...having hit a ditch once that may have put the left top strut mount perch out of alignment. Even though the mount was replaced afterward, it is always the front left bearing that has gone out since. ←This with the body shop saying that everything was spot on when inspected on the rack. Obviously "the rack" doesn't look at upper strut bearing perches.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:43:34 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline bulak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 11:19:29 pm »
Can anyone tell me which way the writing goes on the springs??? I just checked and the writing is upside down on the front

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 02:33:45 am »
It shouldn't make any diff as the rates will always be the same...and the spring perch diameters are also identical.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline jaye2992

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 07:34:01 pm »
I too have this problem with my GTI, just had the Eibach sportlines fitted with new top mounts. Just creaks when doing slow manoeuvres, I was thinking it may be the ball joints but havnt had chance to go to the garage. Other than the noise it drives spot on. 

Offline Big Red T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 12:08:58 am »
Writing on the springs goes the right way up. The guys above are right , the top mounts are normally to blame. If you get a binding noise from the spring you'll notice it as the bearing isn't working properly with the mount. Your h&r,s are a progressive rate spring so the top coils can be touching ,if the bottom coils are touching the springs are upside down.