Make a donation

Author Topic: Should I Clean/change my EGR Valve 04 MK5 golf 1.6 FSI SE? how much should cost  (Read 4104 times)

Nok

About 3 weeks my exhaust warning light came on I took it to a local independent garage and had it checked with I was told that the Valve and sensor needed to be changed. I also had complimentary work done in a City Gate VW garage and they advised the same thing I have been fishing around for prices here are the following prices.

City Gate   Independent VW Garage 1   Independent VW Garage 2    Local Garage
Replace coolant temperature and valve:  184.72       98.76                                        79.68                                         30
Replace EGR Valve                               :  71.1           301                                           253.2                                         170

The £71.1 was only for a investigation.

How much should it normally cost?
Should I get the valve replaced or cleaned?

Thanks in advance

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
You could try cleaning it to see if it helps, although the garage should be able diagnose wether its failed or not.
The other option is to remove it altogether as its not really needed anyway.
Do a search, its been covered on here a few times. Pros n cons etc.

Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)