Make a donation

Author Topic: demon tweeks wtf  (Read 2475 times)

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
demon tweeks wtf
« on: February 07, 2015, 12:53:11 pm »
finding myself in need of some advice please guys.

so the story goes, i ordered rear discs and pads from demon tweeks. yesterday i had early finish from work so decided to get them on. a lot of messing around the discs do not fit  :fighting: but the pads are fine.
i measured my discs before ordering they are 310 x 22 so i ordered 310 x 22, the problem arises because of the distance from the seating face of disc to the disc brushed surface.

so i have been on the phone to DT this morning trying to sort out the problem (i was looking for an exchange as i still need them) and they are not taking any of the responsibility for me having the incorrect discs. at first they told me i must not have a golf. Then it was i must have ordered the wrong ones or measured mine wrong, even though they are the same size as the ones ordered when next to each other its just the depth that differs. after this they do not understand the problem but its still my own fault  :confused:. now i have had to pay return postage of £33 and may loose 10% of my refund.

these are the ones i ordered;
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/brake-discs/car/volkswagen/golf-mk5-gti/ebc-brakes-turbo-groove-performance-brake-discs-rear-pair-vented-310mm-x-22mm

what could be the problem? i don't understand how they don't fit. i also don't know where to go from here, if they don't fit how will any other disc for a MK5?

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: demon tweeks wtf
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:00:43 pm »
Standard rear disc size for the GTi is 286mm x 12mm solid disc, do you have R32 rear brakes on your car as they are 310mm x 22mm vented disc?
Pads are the same for both GTi and R32 though  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:05:29 pm »
Just to add, the ones in the link you have posted are definitely not GTi rear discs, they are R32 versions..

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 01:15:38 pm »
and they do not fit i know they are the same part no of the r32 ones, but my discs are definitely 310 x 22 vented
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:17:37 pm by PaulED30 »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k490cdfflluaea9itfpu82uhae&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »
Pictures of disc please?

@DEMON TWEEKS

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:45:14 pm »
UK distance selling law applies to all goods bought by mail order. You can return goods for a full refund within 7 working days of receiving them.  Provided you informed them that they were not right within this period you can get a full refund without any deductions. You will have to pay the return delivery charge though.

I always prefer to buy parts from a factor or dealer parts dept locally - that way you can go back with the old part if the new one doesn't fit.

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 02:51:26 pm »
the reason i bought them is because they dropped below the price of euro car parts so i thought why not, really wish i hadn't bothered now

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 03:09:38 pm »
the ones i recieved;

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 03:15:04 pm »
and they do not fit i know they are the same part no of the r32 ones, but my discs are definitely 310 x 22 vented

So you have the R32 rear disc upgrade on your car then?  :smiley:

If so, can't see why the discs supplied shouldn't fit as they definitely look like OE R32 rears..

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 03:15:16 pm »
I can confirm having just changed rear discs,pads and a caliper on my standard 2007 Gti that the rear discs are indeed 286mm and they are solid Not vented!

Not sure why yours are measuring 310mm mate only answer is that a previous owner must have upgraded them but the question is to what ?
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 03:16:59 pm »
i know its giving me a real headache trying to figure out what they are

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 03:45:32 pm »
What is the exact problem? Is it that disc will not fit or that once fitted the pads will not fit in the calipers?

Reason I ask is that perhaps pads are not right for the upgrade you have. I had real hassle with pads for a mk2 golf - issue there was that there were identical shaped pads but with slightly different depth friction linings (10mm compared to 12mm). The 12 mm ones would not fit with calipers pushed right back but the 10 mm ones did.  I tried 2 factors and vw dealer before I got right size (was local eurocarparts that had a Pagid ones of correct size)

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »
Have you rewound your rear calipers back? They may be forcing the pads out to compensate for the worn pads before but now just making the disc not fit. Caliper rewind tools arent that expensive from most parts places.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 04:07:37 pm »
the caliper with new pads in fit over the discs and the discs fit the car. for them discs to work i would need some sort of bracket/spacer between where the caliper fixes to the car. in other words with everything is in the right place there would be around 10mm gap between the caliper and its fixing point.

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 04:08:20 pm »
Have you rewound your rear calipers back? They may be forcing the pads out to compensate for the worn pads before but now just making the disc not fit. Caliper rewind tools arent that expensive from most parts places.

yes rewound as far as possible