Make a donation

Author Topic: Mayonnaise - what causes it on these engines?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 4
Mayonnaise - what causes it on these engines?
« on: February 08, 2015, 02:39:53 pm »
Did my weekly oil check today and wiped away the little mayonnaise that was present on the oil filler, but for the first time since I've owned the car I had mayonnaise on some parts of the dip stick. No I do a 32 mile each way trip to work mainly sat at 65-70 and have no trouble with the car not getting hot. I don't/haven't worried about the filler gunge before but being on the stick....... It was cold here every day last week at no greater than zero during the day plus I was on earlies so it was getting started and driven in the minuses.

Do we know why these engines go mayonnaisey in the cold?
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: Mayonnaise - what causes it on these engines?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 02:45:28 pm »
I take it your coolant level isn't dropping as well? Or your oil level? Hopefully just the trapped moisture from where it's below freezing at night but certainly monitor your fluid levels and keep an eye on the exhaust smoke colour too.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 02:48:02 pm »
Same as any engine really, emulsification of the engine oil which is always made worse by cold weather conditions  :smiley:
It'll always come and go on the TFSi depending on weather/journey conditions

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 02:53:36 pm »
Mine has been standing for two weeks and since Friday has had three 12 mile round trips to and from work. Cleaned car today, also checked fluids and oil. All were spot on. I had a little Mayo on oil cap and dipstick. Dipstick was a first for me also. Car needs a bloody good run!

57 reg, 36.000 miles.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:55:57 pm by PT82 »

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 07:48:40 am »
I take it your coolant level isn't dropping as well? Or your oil level? Hopefully just the trapped moisture from where it's below freezing at night but certainly monitor your fluid levels and keep an eye on the exhaust smoke colour too.

Yep, no coolant consumption and only uses a trace of oil. I'm wondering if it's not a case of it getting warm enough but perhaps part of the cooling down in the cold temps, as with most of us I have zero Mayo in the summer or warmer months.

Currently on 106k
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 08:55:54 am »
Mine does this also (very frustrating) uses no water and a little oil which is very normal for tfsi engine so im told!

Surely it has to be a issue with the breater system on this engine as my wifes gt tdi 140 doesn't do it and neither have any of my previous cars some of which were £400 banger runabouts and never a trace of mayo regardless of weather!
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn