Make a donation

Author Topic: Josh's GTI  (Read 2489 times)

Offline J60RWN

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Josh's GTI
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:24:34 pm »
Well I finally picked up the GTI on Friday. Have a few small changes planned to get the car how I want it to be and will be spending this weekend giving it a good clean as the last owner didn't really look after her.

Spec:
1 owner from new
67,000 miles
DSG
Monza 2
Heated leather
Winter pack
Highline display

Full service history with DSG oil and filter changed at 47,000 miles (ish) and belt changed at 45,500 miles, PCV has also been done.

Plans for now:
-Wheel refurb
-Intake (Neuspeed P-Flo purchased just need to install)
-New drivers side window switches
-Clean exhaust
-GTI seat inserts
- Red GTI badges front and back
- New tyres over time
- Replace aerial as old one has split

Any comments/advice welcome

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:29:15 am by J60RWN »

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
Re: Josh's GTI
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:06:06 am »
Nice looking car and nice spec. Good find with 1 owner from new and low enough miles.

Just as an FYI - I think the alloys are just Monza 18" and not Monza 2 (those are the 18"s that came with the MK6 GTI and have black inserts).

Are you going for a remap possibly?

Whereabouts are you in NI? I'm up in Belfast but hail from Carrick. Who did you get insurance with and what was your cost at age 21? Mine was £870 through AXA but I had to add the girlfriend as a named driver and she's a journalist and it bumped my premium up by £540. Every other insurer declined me because of her job except for AXA!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:08:55 am by Rossimac »

Offline J60RWN

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:10:30 am »
Thanks! Loving it so far.

My bad, I assumed they were the Monza 2 cause they used to have the polished faces with black inserts before white worm set in so the previous owner had them refurbed and sprayed silver instead of putting them to standard. They have some light curbing now so I'll be looking to get them done again.

I've thought about a remap but will probably drive standard for a while then look into getting it done. My friend had his ed30 done at Autotune NI in Ballymena so I'd probably go there.

I'm from Carrick myself and work in Belfast. My insurance is with Elephant and got it for £1100 fully comp with me as the main driver and my parents as named drivers so I was happy with that!

Any pictures of your car on here?

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:13:36 am »
Well then they're probably Monza IIs if they had the diamond finish removed as you say! I was just guessing based on the long range picture :P

Btw, I'm 28, so £1100 is very good for a 21 year old!

Autotune is where I'm going to take mine to in the summer - quoted roughly £225 for a stage 1 remap.

Offline J60RWN

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:19 am »
Don't blame you! It is a crappy iPhone pic so need to get some taken with the camera!

Yeahs I was really chuffed with the quote, hope to see it going down again next year as well.

I went with my friend to get his done and the service is great, the guys really know what they're talking about. Have to recommend the café round the corner for a fry while you wait!  :party:

Offline J60RWN

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 11:22:34 am »
Not a huge update but wanted to share some pictures of when I collected the car, was pretty dirty inside and out and tbh it was obvious it hadn't been looked after that well

Having picked the car up on the Friday afternoon I was too excited to drive it that I didn't want to spend a few hours washing/polishing so just give it a quick wash to make it presentable. On the Saturday woke up early and got to work.

-Wash with noodle mit (normally start with snowfoam but need to get more come payday)
-Dried with large microfiber drying towel
-Clay bar with Autobright fine clay and lube
-Wash again with noodle mit
-Dried again
-1 coat of Poorboys Black Hole
-1 coat Dodo juice purple haze

And this was the result

Autobright clay bar kit

First mini mod was the drivers side window switches that were both badly worn

Ordered replacements from good old eBay which were about £12 delivered

Door plastic off

And done

Also replaced the centre caps with these (the blue colour is just the protective plastic), forgot to get before and afters as usual  :sad1:

Then just a picture while on a drive :smiley:

I installed the Neuspeed P-Flo intake over the weekend so will get pictures up when I've given the engine bay a good clean. Still planning on getting the wheels refurbed as one has bad kerbing to the face of the wheel from the previous owner. I've also convinced myself that the DV needs done so will be dropping it in to get it looked at come payday.

Can anyone recommend a decent snowfoam? I've looked at a few but would be good if anyone could recommend one they've used and had good results with.

Josh..

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 12:39:26 pm »
Looks great, black is the best colour! :happy2:

What size are the centre caps and where did you buy them from? I have the same wheels and mine are looking a bit shabby.

Offline J60RWN

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:02:39 pm »
Thanks! I have to agree and of course we aren't biased at all  :grin:

They're another eBay purchase, they're 65mm and cost £7 delivered.