Make a donation

Poll

why no cold air

compressor
3 (50%)
pressure
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: NO COLD AIR FROM AIR CON  (Read 11062 times)

Liamprime93

NO COLD AIR FROM AIR CON
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:13:43 pm »
afternoon guy, basically I have had a look through the forums for the past 30 min and I cant fid the answer I was after. my air con isn't blowing cold air, so I took it to my mate and mechanic who check the system for pressure and gas in the system which there was plenty of both. so basically he thinks its the compressor which I thought it might be. I can get the part for about £200 and he said he could do the job for about £80-£100. which I think is quite good for this price, I just wanted to know if this is a common fault for the mk5 golf gti, and if just replacing the compressor should do the job coz in the older models of the golf's this is a common problem due to the clutch within the compressor braking or sticking I was told. if anyone has had this problem and had it resolved and could let me know how they got on would be great cheers, thanks for taking the time to read and to look forward to your answers.

Offline robmcclel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 7
Re: NO COLD AIR FROM AIR CON
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 03:25:58 pm »
I was told mine was leaking from the pressure sensor, maybe another place to check as its cheaper than replacing the compressor.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 03:48:29 pm »
Pressure sensor as said is a much more common failure.
It would show on VCDS

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:38:29 pm »
Yes it is a very common problem, my Tiguan had the same pump as a mk5 and it failed. You can get a Sanden replacement for £200 new and then a flush/regas on top if you are lucky that no shards have entered the system.

The mk5 compressor is different to the mk4 one.

If you can have someone in the cabin activate AC whilst you look at the pulley. There is a plate on it which should 'pull in' when AC is engaged, then 'push out' when not engaged.
The pulley is designed to rotate at all times, not just in engagement, whereas with mk4 etc it only spins when AC is engaged.

People turn off AC to save economy and this happens.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Owencash

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:24:28 am »
Recently had this on my edition 30, had no codes when scanned with vcds but still turned out to be the pressure switch !

Offline beetie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:29:43 am »
Hoping mines the pressure switch also
 Had no codes and have changed the switch. Having it regassed next week.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:32:29 pm »
Pressure sensor as said is a much more common failure.
It would show on VCDS

Sorry to bring up an old thread but @xjay1337 I've VCDS scanned and have shown no symptoms. I can hear the blower going with ac on. Could it just be a simple re-gassing required?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 01:40:12 pm »
If the compressor is working then all it would require is a regas. Found this on many cars I've worked on. Also found no compressor working so regassed it and it then works fine.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 01:46:13 pm »
If the compressor is working then all it would require is a regas. Found this on many cars I've worked on. Also found no compressor working so regassed it and it then works fine.

@r5gtt I've noticed you're very active on the forum lately and you're always great help to other members so thanks for that first off!  :happy2:

Looks like my G65 sensor faulted on VCDS but that could actually be because there's no gas in it.

Going to regas at my local tyre spot for €60 tomorrow morning and if that doesn't work, I'll fit a new G65.

Don't suppose you've ever fitted a G65?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 02:20:13 pm »
Thanks for that @lukemk5gti I could fit that no problem mate.
First thing I'd you could be right that the sensor is showing up due to no gas in the system so first port of call would be to have it gassed and they shouldn't charge you if it's leaking out. I'm hoping you'll get it gassed up and the Aircon will work fine but if not then you can get back to me and I'll happily fit the G65 sensor on for you.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 02:33:25 pm »
Unless @r5gtt you're able to get to Dublin, Ireland I'm afraid I'll have to decline the generous offer  :signLOL:

I'l get it gassed tomorrow, they said if it doens't fix it that they won't charge me.

At which point I'll fit a G65 and regas! Plan sorted! Thanks

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 02:37:13 pm »
Mine blows hot air as well, I get no fault code on vcds. Watching to see replies.

Luke, go to kwik fit, dont say anything about the fault and if they cant regas it they won't charge you

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=u7copqr9o1e38gnlkgt84ag421&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 02:40:06 pm »
Fit the sensor first.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
Mine blows hot air as well, I get no fault code on vcds. Watching to see replies.

Luke, go to kwik fit, dont say anything about the fault and if they cant regas it they won't charge you
:happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 02:47:00 pm »
Unless @r5gtt you're able to get to Dublin, Ireland I'm afraid I'll have to decline the generous offer  :signLOL:

I'l get it gassed tomorrow, they said if it doens't fix it that they won't charge me.

At which point I'll fit a G65 and regas! Plan sorted! Thanks
  :doh: Why do you guys live so far away  :signLOL:

Sounds good peskyjones  :congrats: again @lukemk5gti  don't tell them about anything  :grin: