Make a donation

Author Topic: Plasti dip clear coat on unlacquered diamond cut monza 2s  (Read 4615 times)

Offline lady_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
Plasti dip clear coat on unlacquered diamond cut monza 2s
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:21:39 pm »
Hey guys and girls I'm after some opinions and thoughts on having my wheels refurbished.
I'm looking at getting them diamond cut but I'm really worried about the dreaded white worm. I've recently looked into having them diamond cut with black inserts and not having them lacquered and instead using a plasti dip clear coat which can be pealed off if it's stone chipped any reapplied. This would mean I could polish the wheel if any corrosion starts.
The wheel place I've been to haven't been able (can't be bothered) to answer my questions or even consider my ideas, also giving me different prices to my other half, I'm adamant this is gender related.
I hoping I could get some help  :smiley:
Reflex silver GTI, revo intake, eurojet dogbone mount and insert, colour coded rear bumper, projector headlights, revo stage 1, precat delete, cente resonator delete, R8 coilpacks, eibach sportlines, depo projectors, 4300k hid kit... Not finished yet

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
Re: Plasti dip clear coat on unlacquered diamond cut monza 2s
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:29:07 pm »
My Monzas needed a refurb and I was quoted £70ish a wheel to have them done
I decided to plastidip them myself - check out the link below

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.30.html

It is great stuff and very very durable - withstands a jet wash with ease!

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline lady_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »
Thanks for the link they look really good and really go with the candy white :smiley:

I hope the Plasti dip stays on bare metal as I don't want to lacquer the wheels which should stop white worm.
Reflex silver GTI, revo intake, eurojet dogbone mount and insert, colour coded rear bumper, projector headlights, revo stage 1, precat delete, cente resonator delete, R8 coilpacks, eibach sportlines, depo projectors, 4300k hid kit... Not finished yet

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »
I've had the plastidip on my old Monzas for over two Winters now and it's all still on there!  I think it's finally starting to show some wear, but tbf it's had a beating with all the salt and grime winter throws at them... very impressed.  I may strip back and redo in the summer.

The lacquer on the cut finish won't stop the whiteworm, it only tales a nick or two for the process to start, they do look good when new though.

If you're after a shiny finish, Plastidip do a "Glossifier", never tried it, perhaps next time.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:44:19 pm »
Good thinking behind it but what about a harder wearing coating other than plastidip.

I imagine one strong stone could smash through the plastidip with ease.

What about a ceramic coating or something along those lines which might withstand it...... Anyone care to shed some light?

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:48:07 pm »
If they are refurbed properly and then cleaned and sealed regularly afterwards there's no reason why diamond cut monza's won't last for years to come!
Mine have never been refurbed and are now 7 years old and no white worm in sight, few minor marks on them and touched up a few nicks with clear laquer pen but otherwise still stunning
Seal them 3-4 times a year with Autoglym Hd wax then buff up occasionally with dodo juice red mist quick detailer  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline lady_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:04 pm »
If they are refurbed properly and then cleaned and sealed regularly afterwards there's no reason why diamond cut monza's won't last for years to come!
Mine have never been refurbed and are now 7 years old and no white worm in sight, few minor marks on them and touched up a few nicks with clear laquer pen but otherwise still stunning
Seal them 3-4 times a year with Autoglym Hd wax then buff up occasionally with dodo juice red mist quick detailer  :happy2:
Maybe I'm over thinking it. I've seen so may that look bad and didn't want mine to end up the same but I'm quite happy to put in the effort to keep them in a good condition.
Thanks for all the posts its helped me make my decision and going with a standard diamond cut. Now just got to get it booked in  :smiley:

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 11:53:05 pm »
I had my car plastidipped. It was ok but at the doors with people getting in and out it was murder. So i got it took off.

But for wheels i would say it would be good. I used autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner and it really kepted it nice so i would recommend using that on you're wheels once a week just to keep them protected from salt dirt brake dust etc.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 06:47:51 am »
Maybe I'm over thinking it. I've seen so may that look bad and didn't want mine to end up the same but I'm quite happy to put in the effort to keep them in a good condition.
Thanks for all the posts its helped me make my decision and going with a standard diamond cut. Now just got to get it booked in  :smiley:

Honestly if you look after them and touch up any minor nicks a couple times a year they will be absolutely fine
Plus lets be honest they transform the look of the mk5 Gti, by far the best looking wheel on our cars
Anywhere around £80-£90 a wheel is about right
 :happy2:

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 06:58:10 am »
I had this idea for my monzas. Upon refurbing i intend to have them properly laquered and im going to seal them with clear plasti dip and use a glossifier to bring the shine back as this has a mat finish. There would be two layers of protection the harder laquer then the plastidip. I did look and no one seems to have tried this to prevent whiteworm. Every 6 months i would remove this it just peels off, clean wheels properly reapply clear laquer to any chips then reapply.   :happy2:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:59:10 am »

Honestly if you look after them and touch up any minor nicks a couple times a year they will be absolutely fine
Plus lets be honest they transform the look of the mk5 Gti, by far the best looking wheel on our cars

I thought that the alloys were all individual though, as in @Matthewsimone  you might have a good batch that are unlikely to corrode as easily and someone else might have a batch more prone to corrosion.

I remember seeing something on the forum about this a while back that each alloy was individual and corrosion varied.

Regardless, I do agree. A good sealing after diamond cutting would give you a few years before corrosion sets back in.

Regarding the sealing, autoglym hd isn't ideal for areas prone to heat. Isn't a temperature resistant sealant more ideal for the wheels?

Offline lady_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:57:49 pm »
I think i may still clear coat my wheels with plastidip glossifier after I have them diamond cut just to add some extra protection and hopefully that will save a few some chips.

Does anyone know any good wheel places in the West Sussex area that do a really good job and will lend me some wheels as it will take the best part of a week.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:36 pm »

I thought that the alloys were all individual though, as in @Matthewsimone  you might have a good batch that are unlikely to corrode as easily and someone else might have a batch more prone to corrosion.

I remember seeing something on the forum about this a while back that each alloy was individual and corrosion varied.

Regardless, I do agree. A good sealing after diamond cutting would give you a few years before corrosion sets back in.

Regarding the sealing, autoglym hd isn't ideal for areas prone to heat. Isn't a temperature resistant sealant more ideal for the wheels?

Yes you may wellbe right there with the dodgy batch comment mate as preety sure I read that somewhere previously too!

As for sealing the wheels, only reason I opted for Autoglym HD wax was that a local detailing chap once told me majority of wheel sealants are pants and to just use a normal reputable wax on them and credit where its due to the guy ive been using it on wheels for a couple years on few of my cars ant its kept them all pristine particularly my diamond Monza's

dansmith180

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 10:49:44 pm »
If you get them refurbished somewhere helpful you can ask for extra layers of laquer, it might cost a few extra ££ but will help them last. As well as that regular cleaning/ sealing (I would recommend Gtechniq C5) and touching in any chips etc they should last for years.