Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI-Rog's Mk5 GTI "Rejuvenation" Thread (Pic Heavy)  (Read 54388 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
Re: My "10 years younger" Mk5 GTi on-going project....
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2015, 08:08:14 pm »
Nice, wish my DV had been in your state opposed to the brand new rev g that I found in there  :fighting: previous owner had fitted it and not told me. I had already bought a new one because I assumed it would be knackered as it's a ten year old car and no paperwork suggesting new one had been fitted... But the cars looking good rog!

Offline MarkyN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • www.instagram.com/marky_n
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 12:48:41 pm »
Where did you get the Rev G from? Mines 10 year old DSG and thinking I should buy one just incase the previous owner has not changed it. Also is there s guide or something to help me out with the changing?

Offline jayha11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97064.0.html
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2015, 01:03:55 pm »
Where did you get the Rev G from? Mines 10 year old DSG and thinking I should buy one just incase the previous owner has not changed it. Also is there s guide or something to help me out with the changing?
http://www.awesomegti.com/oem-2-0t-diaphragm-diverter-valve-06f-145-710g Here you go Mark
Mk5 GTI > S3 8P > Cupra 300 > Cupra 290 > Mk5 R32

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2015, 02:01:56 pm »
@MarkyN I recently did mine. I got mine from local VW dealer

As for a guide I'll tell you how I did mine

-Remove wheel
-Remove the front half of the black plastic arch lining by undoing the torx screws - there's quite a few to undo.
-Locate DV - its good to use a torch here. Some recommend taping a torch in the direction of the DV so you have hands free.
-First off, remove the electrical connection to the DV (you do this using the same method for removing any other electrical connection in the car. I use a small flathead to prise back the catch)
-Undo the three bolts holding in the DV. These bolts are hex bolts. Although it could technically be done with a simple hex key, it would be very fidly. I used a small ratchet spanner with an extension to make it a lot easier.
-Take out the DV and replace, then just do the reverse of the above procedure for fitting.

Some recommend using threadlock on the bolts when putting them back. I didn't.

If you do a search on the forum for DV/Diverter Valve you'll get other guides people have done that you can use this in conjunction with. Some have pictures which is very usefull.

Offline MarkyN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2015, 02:02:16 pm »
Nice one mate. I think when I service it next month I'll make sure I change that part as well as the cam follower too

Offline MarkyN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »
@Peskyjones that's spot on mate! Very useful! I'll make sure I follow as you said, seems pretty simple job. Thanks again

Offline GTI-Rog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 7
    • facebook.com/FreemanDetailing
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95428.0.html
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2015, 04:30:15 pm »

I got mine from TPS, same price as Awesome Gti. Check if there's one local to you, they had them in stock in Milton Keynes, it maybe the same for other areas.

I pretty much followed the same guide as Peskyjones (cheers mate  :happy2:), although, I didn't bother removing the arch liner, access was a little tight but easy enough. As said, search the forum there's loads of information on this.

I'd be surprised if the original DV was still intact after 10 years, mine certainly weren't, so definitely worth checking. Although it may have been changed previously, you won't know until you remove it . Like me you'll be hoping it is knackered, as it means more power to be restored  :grin:

:happy2:
|Ramair Panel Filter|Diamond Black Magic Mk5 Golf GTI OEM+|ED30 rear valance|Monza II 18's|Rev G DV|
Banner 1 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr
|Audi S4 B6 4.2 V8..gone|A3 TFSI Q S line..gone|Gone: Audi A3 3.2 V6 DSG S line|Gone..VW Corrado VR6|

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2015, 09:00:58 am »
Awesome! I just read the whole thread, learned some new things along the way.

I get my GTi this weekend (hopefully) - it's also black but a 5 door...

If I can get it looking half as good I will be happy  :happy2:

Also, did you notice any difference in the ride from the 17's to the 18's?

To be honest back in 2008/9 I had a 3 door GTi with the 18's but can't remember!  :rolleye:
2005 Gti - 5dr, DSG, Black
2003 Toyota MR2 Roadster, Chilli Red
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline GTI-Rog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2015, 09:09:58 pm »
Awesome! I just read the whole thread, learned some new things along the way.

I get my GTi this weekend (hopefully) - it's also black but a 5 door...

If I can get it looking half as good I will be happy  :happy2:

Also, did you notice any difference in the ride from the 17's to the 18's?

To be honest back in 2008/9 I had a 3 door GTi with the 18's but can't remember!  :rolleye:

Thanks man :drinking:

The ride on the 17's was nice and smooth, less crashy over bumps etc. The 18's are noisier on the road, but that could be down to the tyres. I feel the road better on the 18's and they look the business, which helps  :grin:
|Ramair Panel Filter|Diamond Black Magic Mk5 Golf GTI OEM+|ED30 rear valance|Monza II 18's|Rev G DV|
|Audi S4 B6 4.2 V8..gone|A3 TFSI Q S line..gone|Gone: Audi A3 3.2 V6 DSG S line|Gone..VW Corrado VR6|

Offline GTI-Rog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
A few updates...

My original mats were very worn and one was missing. So was on the look out for some cheap original mats on eBay. When I managed to bag some rare Edition 30 car mats for the GTI. For a princely sum of £26 + packaging (£34) ! Bargain, normally around £120 new!

They were in good condition, but needed a good clean up.

DSCN2365 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Passenger side brushed off, ready for shampooing and a scrub.
DSCN2366 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

I had to change over the round connectors to the oval, off the original mats.
DSCN2367 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

All scrubbed and looking more presentable.
DSCN2369 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Next up.....change the steering wheel trims. The usual peeled off finish, why did they think this would last?
DSCN2371 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Anyway....easy fix. Pull off old ones...
DSCN2372 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Push in the replacement....
DSCN2373 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

All done and looking much improved  :happy2:
DSCN2375 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Interior updates done.......for now :wink:
DSCN2382 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

The next issue to sort out is my annoying coolant leak. Only filled this up a couple of days ago! After some research (on here :happy2:), I found it out to be another common issue with the TFSI engine.
DSCN2385 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

This is the area in question. Water leaking out and sitting on the gearbox housing. It is coming from a pipe connector union on the side of the cylinder head. An O-ring perishes and starts to leak.
DSCN2386 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

This is the part in question. Replacement from TPS. £16.
DSCN2388 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

This is the O-ring in question.
DSCN2389 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Part number for anyone who needs it.
DSCN2390 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Ok, so on with the fix....wish me luck!
DSCN2391 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

First off, I pulled the coolant temp sensor out and drained the coolant. Then after a massive amount of faffing to pry off most of the hose pipes, I decided just to loosen the connector and not remove it completely with some of the hoses still attached. And replace the O-ring only, good decision, me thinks!  :happy2:
DSCN2393 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

I took off the completely dryed out and crusty O-ring.
DSCN2394 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

This I took off the new part. You can't buy this separately. Pity..
DSCN2395 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

New O-ring in place.
DSCN2396 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

All back together. It's seems like it has cured the leak for now, we'll see if it does long term.  :scared:
DSCN2397 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

That's it for now, more improvements to come soon...... :grin:

Rog
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:21:42 am by GTI-Rog »

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2015, 08:45:36 am »
@MarkyN I recently did mine. I got mine from local VW dealer

As for a guide I'll tell you how I did mine

-Remove wheel
-Remove the front half of the black plastic arch lining by undoing the torx screws - there's quite a few to undo.
-Locate DV - its good to use a torch here. Some recommend taping a torch in the direction of the DV so you have hands free.
-First off, remove the electrical connection to the DV (you do this using the same method for removing any other electrical connection in the car. I use a small flathead to prise back the catch)
-Undo the three bolts holding in the DV. These bolts are hex bolts. Although it could technically be done with a simple hex key, it would be very fidly. I used a small ratchet spanner with an extension to make it a lot easier.
-Take out the DV and replace, then just do the reverse of the above procedure for fitting.

Some recommend using threadlock on the bolts when putting them back. I didn't.

If you do a search on the forum for DV/Diverter Valve you'll get other guides people have done that you can use this in conjunction with. Some have pictures which is very usefull.

There you go - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,87824.msg893078.html#msg893078

Offline GTI-Rog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2015, 09:49:16 pm »
It was a lovely sunny day today, so I thought I would give the GTI a quick once over....rude not to really :grin:
Quite literally, all I did was a 2BM (2 Bucket Method) wash and dryed with a big drying towel, dressed the tyres and that's it!
The Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body Nano Ceramic Sealant, I applied in April this year, still looking amazing :happy2:

Whilst I was there, I re-aligned the front nearside headlight, as it was knocking the front bumper shut line out at the side. This was annoying me badly :fighting:
I also re-finished and polished the headlights again, as I rushed them a little the first time round...

Anyway, it came out alright I reckon, here are some pics  8)

DSCN2398 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

DSCN2399 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

DSCN2400 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

DSCN2401 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

DSCN2403 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

DSCN2411 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

DSCN2417 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

DSCN2420 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

DSCN2421 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Rog :happy2:

Offline Raincloud

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: GTI-Rog's Mk5 GTI "10 years younger" Restoration thread.
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2015, 03:11:28 pm »
Great thread mate, car looking good  :happy2:

Could you tell me where you got the replacement steering wheel trims from and how much?

Offline GTI-Rog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2015, 06:42:23 pm »
Great thread mate, car looking good  :happy2:

Could you tell me where you got the replacement steering wheel trims from and how much?

Cheers mate it's getting there  :smiley:

I got the steering wheel trims off the for sale forum on here for £10, then I realised they the same as the ones I took off, but stripped of the "rubber paint". You maybe better off removing the finish and replacing your original trims, still looks the part IMO.

Rog

Offline Raincloud

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2015, 06:51:54 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go.