Make a donation

Author Topic: Service history?  (Read 1881 times)

Pptom

Service history?
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:14:29 am »
Just called VW customer service to verify the service history of a GTI I've seen for sale in Birmingham.
http://www.birminghamtradesales.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen-golf-2-0-tfsi-gti-dsg-3dr-birmingham-201503051466344
They tell me it has 6 recorded services - full VW history.
Trouble is that the selling (non VW) dealer has pictures of the log book which show 10 VW stamped services. The dates and mileage from the 6 VW records match the log book but there are a few VW stamped services scattered inbetween not registered with VW - there are also a couple of odd things - one has a VW recorded inspection at 37k miles (with toothed belt?), then 600 miles and one month later the log book shows a full service with DSG oil / engine oil / spark plugs / filters etc - VW don't have a record of this.
Is it just me - or is this a bit fishy?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Service history?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:47:48 am »
I'd ask to see the invoices for the services - It may be that the VW dealers never updated the system. . .
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Pptom

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 04:58:07 pm »
No invoices, so that one is off my list.
Thanks

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:05:56 am »
Service history in a book is useless without invoices to back them up.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 12:12:42 pm »
Service history is everything. If there are no invoices for the work or VW/the garage who did the work have no evidence to support the stamp. Walk away.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:54 pm »
I don't have a single invoice for mine except one for the water pump and timing belt change at Vw, however its a 1 previous owner car and has been maintained its entire life by Vw Warrington so one simple phone call to them from myself before purchased it last year confirmed everything the seller had told me!

Soooooooo a simple bit of digging may reveal a top example but an owner thats not fond of paperwork  :laugh:

Also Vw offered me duplicate coppies of invoices but said the original owner would have to pop in for them with identification as his details are printed on them
Still have previous owners number so may try arrange that with him soon
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:41:49 pm »
When looking for my Eddie, I did look at some that had stamps, no record, or no stamps, but had details on VW system.

Often found the easy way to find the true history was to contact the main dealers, or VW UK who can verify.

Im lucky that I have every invoice since new for all the service/warranty work and a full list from VW off all the times it has visited a dealership in its life, even down to it having the seat coverings replaced as the owner wasn't happy with the stiching. I know its been looked after  :signLOL:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:42:28 am »
As i understand it, the issue was not so much there being no service history more that VW could not find some a record of the work undertaken to support the stamps in the service schedule.

2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 07:59:38 pm »
As mentioned, just give the servicing dealership a call to verify the work carried out. I had a similar thing on my Passat CC where there was a discrepancy between the stamps in the book and what was recorded on the VW database. Turned out the servicing dealership hadn't updated the VW database for some reason. I asked the VW (UK) customer services advisor to contact said dealership and get all the details up to date on the VW system. This was done quickly with the minimum of fuss - all sorted in less than a day.

Hope this helps

Rich

Kam88

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 11:44:39 pm »
if doesn't add up walk away you can easily get a book stamped all day long for a small fee so if there is no invoice and vw can't confirm RUNNNNNNN  :signLOL: