Make a donation

Author Topic: Please Help: Fan not switching off!  (Read 782 times)

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
    • Leicester Wedding Photographers
    • Email
Please Help: Fan not switching off!
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:28:16 pm »
Hi guys,

On a couple of occasions recently when my engine reaches the temp when the engine fan needs to kick in, it turns on and then sometimes it doesn't turn off and it speeds up really fast and it sounds horrendous!! The problem is it doesn't switch off! I have to switch the engine off before it stops.

What could have happened? I had this same problem about a year ago when I had a major electrical fault which sorted it self out eventually.

I don't have vagcom so can't do a scan but is this a problem someone else has experienced?

Thanks
Craigh

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
Re: Please Help: Fan not switching off!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:36:55 pm »
Hi Craigh,

Can't help with a solution I'm afraid as I'm in the same boat and would love to hear anyone's input, I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago but got nothing back

I've scanned with VCDS and no faults come up, I'd hazzard a guess yours would be the same, but I would try get it scanned just to be sure, it might not be the same problem.

See if someone near to you could scan for a few beer tokens

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88875.0.html

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:45:34 pm »
Hi Fab,

To be honest I'm really not bothered about getting it scanned as this car has been one major problem since the day I bought it 3 years ago.

Never had a car that's has given me so much hassle and it's obviously still going on now. Drivers side window has recently stopped going up and down intermittently too and I can't be bothered to keep getting it scanned and spending a fortune to get it sorted. I had a battery drain issue which went on for ages and took me 2 trips to Great Yarmouth to get it sorted by Ed on the forum, which I'm really grateful for. With this car I'm always just waiting for the next thing to go wrong with it.

It's such a shame because it's really put me off having a golf ever again in the future!

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:57:10 pm »
Yeah that sucks mate, seems to be a gremlin somewhere  :sad1:

You really aren't having much luck, I hope someone chimes in with a quick easy fix (for both are sakes)

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:18:25 pm »
Well got the car booked in at AKS and having both fans replaced and module and see if that sorts it.

If that don't work then it's off to the scrap yard lol

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:02:27 am »
I've heard of people suffering this problem a fair few times on here. I'm sure it's something to do with a faulty coolant temp sensor?

I'd look at replacing that before the two fans!
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)