Make a donation

Author Topic: Paint thickness on sills  (Read 1037 times)

Offline veedubster

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Paint thickness on sills
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:34:15 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm new to forum and was looking for some advice. I've got a 2008 MK5 GTI which I've had for about a year. On the last MOT I was told I had some rust appearing on the front drivers and passenger side sills. On closer inspection it looks like rust coming from underneath the paintwork as it's bubbling up.

I booked the car into VW who inspected the car and took some paint depth measurements and pictures. They said that the rust is coming from underneath and the paint depth on both the sills was very low (about 50). They have now come back to me and said its not under their 12 years corrosion warranty as they are saying it looks like the sills have been painted.

I was not convinced that the sills have been painted, I wanted a second opinion so I took it to two body shops and they can't see any paint work being done on the sills. They mentioned the sills always have a lower paint depth and if they were painted they would be more than the VW tolerance, not lower.

Am i being fobbed off? What are the average paint thickness on the sills? Any advice would be appreciated.   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:36:54 pm by veedubster »

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Paint thickness on sills
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:04 pm »
I will check the paint depth when I'm next down the unit with our PDG on my car.
If the sills WERE repaired they would have more paint, not less...
Generally underbonnet and sill areas have less paint.

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »
As above normally a factory painted car will be between 120 - 180 (not sure about sills) and a car that's had work done is usually 250+. They will always try to wriggle out of it, its very unlikely somewhere like the sills would have been painted at some point. I'll check mine at work tomorrow as well for you  :happy2:

Offline veedubster

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:07:51 pm »
Thanks guys.