Make a donation

Author Topic: Where to buy a camera??  (Read 8771 times)

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
Where to buy a camera??
« on: December 04, 2009, 02:44:45 pm »
thinking of getting a SLR in the new year got my eye on a d500 but they aint cheap! was thinking john lewis are good or have i missed a trick here??

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Where to buy a camera??
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:47:07 pm »
have a look on camerapricebuster.co.uk ;)

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:48:30 pm »
Amazon currently cheapest, at 569.

If you can buy instore @ john lewis, then you can get it for 579. or 579 delivered! ;)

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 02:49:09 pm »
dixons are also doing it for 569. so theres plenty of places to buy one instore (inc jessops! ;)

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 02:51:07 pm »
thanks Jay, think i will probably be needing a lense too, will have a good look on there now  :happy2:

edit- so thats probably the same deal then with the kit at those places. so everywheres about the same then. hopefully it will come down a touch after crimbo  :smiley:

cheers for the help  :drinking:

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:55:35 pm »
If your getting it in the new year just wait until sales start - you will defo get better prices than what's about now.

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:41:37 pm »
thanks Jay, think i will probably be needing a lense too, will have a good look on there now  :happy2:

edit- so thats probably the same deal then with the kit at those places. so everywheres about the same then. hopefully it will come down a touch after crimbo  :smiley:

cheers for the help  :drinking:

Lens wise i recommend getting yourself a 50mm AFS 1.4AF - totally awesome little lens. Additionally you will want a 200mm zoom the 18 - 200mm 3.4 - 5.6 AFS VRII is a very good starter zoom look on ebay for this. would also recommend polarising filters for both. However you probably wont get any change out of £800 for both - unless you find an eBargain!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:45:39 pm by scotta »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:49:20 pm »
Just remember the vat goes back up in jan

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 10:09:29 pm »
ooh poop almost forgot about that J but i will have to swallow it because i know i cant do it now until mid jan so will have to take the hit, then next on the list i will be saving for my exhaust even though ive been telling myself that was priority lol things change, we need a few good holiday pics next year!

scotta thanks for the heads up, ive been out of touch for a few years so ideas of lenses is great help. i really wanted a lens i can use day to day for landscapes/ portraits like what you get in the kits then was thinking about an almost macro lens for hobby photography. we used to use 35mm at college and i thought it was great but i suppose a 50 would have more depth of field, its been a while so please excuse my ignorance! actually it wasnt that long ago maybe 8 or nine years but lets just say i was too busy doing other things! now i think i can appreciate the time and effort put in to it a bit more!  : :laugh:

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 10:47:19 pm »
My guess is the January sales will be driven by 'additional' 2.5% 'off' and 'No VAT increase here' sales..... so doubt you'll have anything to worry about

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 11:16:53 pm »
ooh poop almost forgot about that J but i will have to swallow it because i know i cant do it now until mid jan so will have to take the hit, then next on the list i will be saving for my exhaust even though ive been telling myself that was priority lol things change, we need a few good holiday pics next year!

scotta thanks for the heads up, ive been out of touch for a few years so ideas of lenses is great help. i really wanted a lens i can use day to day for landscapes/ portraits like what you get in the kits then was thinking about an almost macro lens for hobby photography. we used to use 35mm at college and i thought it was great but i suppose a 50 would have more depth of field, its been a while so please excuse my ignorance! actually it wasnt that long ago maybe 8 or nine years but lets just say i was too busy doing other things! now i think i can appreciate the time and effort put in to it a bit more!  : :laugh:

Baah cocked that up hang on!!

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:02:51 am »
ok now ive worked out how link photos here goes

A few different shots and a small explanation of how they were taken so you can see what shots are possible with both the Lens's i was talking about.

Scenery :

Shot using Nikon D60 and  18-200 mm AFS F3.5 - F5.6 VR lens and Circular polarising filter

Exposure: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18 mm

Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 150 mm

Exposure: 0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture: f/36.0
Focal Length: 200 mm
This one was taken with the Polarising filter removed and the UV filter fitted. Slightly annoyed at myself here tho as i think the filter was a bit dirty. If you look closely you can see a blue car driving down the road. you can notice how different the lighting is with the different filter.

ACTION :

Again shot using Nikon D60 and  18-200 mm AFS F3.5 - F5.6 VR lens and Circular polarising filter

Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 150 mm

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 82 mm

All the above were shot on the Zoom. Theses next ones were shot in low light so i used the Prime 50mm AFS 1.4 AF as i needed the apature wide open to let as much light in as possible.

Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50 mm

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50 mm

As you can see on these two the Depth of Field is pretty awsome you just cant get the same effect with the zoom unles you wanna spend £1000+ on a F2.8. You are a bit limited with the 50 sometimes because its fixed focal length - i usually find its not to bad though. Just need to stand a bit further back or a bit closer!!

Motorsport :

For motorsport photography you really need the zoom tho!

heres a few from this years BTCC

The above shots were grabbed by messing about with various shutter speed from 1/40 to 1/320 and using panning with the multi burst release function on the camera. This is where the D60 falls down a bit - it could do with a faster multi burst. Ive used my mates D300 and its about four times quicker on the multiburst. It is however roughly four times more expensive!

Hope this helps illustrate the difference between the Lens's and shows what different shots can be acheived by each.

If you fancy a rumage around my flicker site then the link is http://www.flickr.com/photos/29381471@N07/

Scott
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:05:21 am by scotta »

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:34 am »
wow, thanks for that scott, some amazing shots there, something to aspire to.  :congrats:

thats a great help cheers  :drinking:

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 11:09:47 am »
No probs mate .

Any other questions just give me a shout - i dont profess to be an expert but ive got a few good contacts.

My mates got a Z3 convertible so when the better weather comes in were gonna try a few motoin shots with the roof down of the GTI. See how that goes!!

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:56 am »
Jessops are also doing interest credit on some Camera's too at present... :happy2: They may work a little bit more expensive but overall you'll come out even if you pay for it either on the plastic or the never never... :wink: Plus they have shops in most places so you can always pop in with it if you have trouble. (just had to do it with the wifes Panasonic)

Warehouseexpress is another online place, but the aftersales is poor... :xmassmiley:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:25:25 pm by Moschops »
Cheers,

Wayne