Make a donation

Author Topic: HPFP how it works?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
HPFP how it works?
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:59:06 am »
Hello everyone. Does anyone know how the fuel pump works? Specifically the one with the banjo bolt. I mean - why the two fuel line etc.

The reason I'm asking is because every now and again, when starting up the engine after a perioud of ten hours or so it stutters momentairily before turning on. This has been happening since I changed the cam follower in the pump. I also changed the pcv so could be that but reckon it's the cam follower.

I've got it in my head that it's because the banjo bolt has been screwed in such a way that the hole in the bolt (you'll know it if you've seen it) isn't aligned properly to let the fuel run smoothly. But then again it still accelerates and drives as it did before - Don't know whether this means it can't be the fuel line or what 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
Re: HPFP how it works?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:53:13 pm »
Banjos don't require any alignment.  Fuel flows out of the hole in the bolt, around the 'banjo' fitting and back into the line.  You can't misalign them.  Brakes use the same fitting.

As for how the HPFP works, low pressure fuel in, compressed mechanically, high pressure fuel out, simples!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 03:51:38 pm »
Cheers ok fair enough so it's not that then. Perhaps its my battery. Just seems a bit of a coincidence since Its been happening since I changed my pcv and cam follower.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=h6494203f9h0j6praa6mduif8i&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:07:58 am »
Mines the same. The first start is always crap.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:10:45 am »
Nothing to do with the Banjo - It's a common thing with these engines. Its a mechanical fuel pump that needs to rotate in order to build enough pressure for fuel injection. Try holding the key on the starter a little longer until it properly fires in to life, rather than just the first fire/hiccup
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 11:37:56 am »
Cheers guys puts my mind at rest. I was just a little concerned that I don't seem to remember it doing it before I changed cam follower and pcv. But that could be because of only had the car about a month before hand and hadnt noticed it.