Make a donation

Author Topic: Ed30/r32 rear lights on a budget.  (Read 10363 times)

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: Ed30/r32 rear lights on a budget.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 01:29:55 pm »
Looking at doing this mod, for those that have already done it, a HOW TOO, would be nice. If not with pics then words, and materials used  :happy2:

Cheers guys
05 GTI 5 Door, sunroof, met paint, 18" monza, Leather Anthacite, front centre armrest, xenon headlights, Lux pack 2, Sensors, Winter Pack.

Offline Jeffchiz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 07:03:03 pm »
Ive bought the outters from ECP as well.

I now debating whether to tint the originals or buy them off ebay already tinted but they are for LHD cars only. Is it possible to just take the reverse/fog lenses out my original lights and fit them to the LHD units?

I've read you cant just swap the reverse/fog lenses around on the LHD units as the clips dont match up from one side to another BUT the lenses out the RHD units should fit as I'm not swapping them from one side to another just swapping a white/red lense for the opposite colour.

Just want someone to confirm my thinking, if its not that simple ill just tint the RHD lights.

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 08:44:49 am »
@si-r32 has done and it's straight forward apparently. Waiting for mine to arrive just.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 12:13:17 am »
Ive bought the outters from ECP as well.

I now debating whether to tint the originals or buy them off ebay already tinted but they are for LHD cars only. Is it possible to just take the reverse/fog lenses out my original lights and fit them to the LHD units?

I've read you cant just swap the reverse/fog lenses around on the LHD units as the clips dont match up from one side to another BUT the lenses out the RHD units should fit as I'm not swapping them from one side to another just swapping a white/red lense for the opposite colour.

Just want someone to confirm my thinking, if its not that simple ill just tint the RHD lights.

Your right the clips don't exactly match so a small bit of DIY is needed (remove clips and glue in, not rocket science), the correct RHD lights from TPS approx. 78 per side so a significant saving for a tiny bit of work.

plus to make life even easier and for a symmetrical look only one light needs to be worked on, remove the red lens, this is then your reverse light, put a red bulb in other light for fog job done

tinting your standard lights to match the outer ones personally not for me, depends how much money you have and if you want it to look 100% or not
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 10:42:03 am »
Just to follow up, my inner lights eventually turned up last week. They are actually made by Magneti Marelli as well as the outer lights. All I needed to do was take them apart, remove the red lens and replace it with the clear lens in my existing light unit. Just need to order a red fog bulb now.

Probably 5/10 minutes max involved in getting them right.

All in I think the full set of lights cost me £140 or so- brand new. As mentioned before, in my opinion its a no brainier for anyone considering a second hand set.

Big thanks to Si for the pointers once more.