Make a donation

Author Topic: Shadow Blue 07 GTI  (Read 8765 times)

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Shadow Blue 07 GTI
« on: June 05, 2015, 09:57:19 am »
Hi everyone,

This thread is more or less a log of my ownership of my GTI. Nothing too crazy, just some basic maintenance and minor mods.

My car is a 2007 Golf GTI in Shadow Blue. Its the newer model with the BWA engine, and DSG.

Being in New Zealand we get a lot of Japanese Imports, and this is one of them. There is some up and down sides to imports. The option spec is bit of a mixed bag, some are really high spec with plenty of options ticked whilst some are pretty low spec and basic. A lot of imports dont tend to have FSH, but what they make up for is usually some key modification here and there.

Mine is quite high spec for an import, being fitted with the following
Heated leather
Xenon
Dual climate
Auto lights
Auto wipers
Heated and folding mirrors

Its had a couple of modifications made when it was in Japan
Adjustable suspension
Modified exhaust
Front carbon corner splitters
Rear carbon diffuser
Carbon look cluster trim
Engine grounding kit
LED tube tail lights
18" OEM wheels (Monza?)
A cute little tartan ring around the ignition barrel

Nothing too major, but just enough to make it handle well, corner flat and look unique.

The tali lights are what you guys would call Marmite, but they will stay for now. The look has kind of grown on me as its just so different from all the other Golfs around, and at the end of the day its hard to justify the cost of a set of R32 tails to replace them.

My plan for the car is fairly basic. Soon ill be doing the Cam follower and DV replacements, just because i have no documents to say they have been done in the past. After that, itll be a catless downpipe, intake and a Revo stage 2 tune.

Heres some pictures of the car. I havent had time since i picked it up the other day to give it a decent clean and wax so this will do for now.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:20:57 am by KelvinatorNZ »

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
Re: Shadow Blue 07 GTI
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:15:22 am »
Welcome, from Belfast. Nice car.

Where are you in NZ?

Offline cicco

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:39:14 am »
Well spec'd car you u got there mate. Always nice to see another shadow blue on the forum

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 10:22:36 am »
Cheers guys.

Im in windy old Wellington.

Offline James10

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:54:44 pm »
Love this colour, what I wanted but couldn't find one! Enjoy

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:43:51 am »
so, got bored this afternoon and decided to explore.

Still dont know what the exhaust is, the only marking that i can see is the Jasma cert plate. I can see that a previous owner raised it by adding another set of holes in the hangers. Obviously it as hanging too low once lowered. The tips should be stainless silver, not black like they are. might drop the rear muffler down and give them a polish at some point.

Had a poke around under the bonnet too, just for fun.

Its got a pivot thing to ground my raizins.

Pulled the cover off and started to notice thing that werent normal. First up, it has Okada Plasma Direct coils and some weird "head balancer" things. also has an Audi oil cap.

Then i noticed this. Its an aftermarket boost take off point.

Where oh where does the vacuum line go? To this, a Forge diverter valve on the turbo.

it also appears to have the newer PCV

i did find some weird Alpha 16 and CI ignition boosters. Meant to boost the voltage to the coils to 16V, and stabilise the voltage.

I did some digging around under the car too. Found the adjustables are genuine Volkswagen Racing suspension by Sachs. Flash.

one thing i didnt know was that the car appears to have puddle lights. not sure whats going on but they dont seem to work.

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 08:33:36 am »
i fixed a thing tonight.

Working puddle lights!

Not too hard to work with. push the mirror forward/towards front of car (can take a bit of force), this will reveal the puddle light unit. There is a little torx screw (t10 maybe). Once the screw is removed, you need to use a small screwdriver to lever the unit out from the edge opposite to where the screw hole is. its held in with a little bump. It just pulls out then. To remove the bulb, its held in a little rubber holder. You need to pull the whole rubber socket out of the lamp unit. I just wiggled and twisted.

Once the unit was removed and socket out, i found out that neither side actually had the LED fitted in the socket. The led was also stuffed. popped new leds in, and away it went. in order to fit the socket back in, you need to lubricate the rubber. i used a small amount of dishwash liquid and popped it back in.

Unfortunately ive also found that the light in the boot doesnt work and its not the bulb. need to test the holder for voltage.

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:55:12 am »
Well this afternoon was productive, yay.

Started with this.

and these

Started with the oil change as the engine was hot.
Got the car in the air. Pretty easy to jack and axle stands went on the rear wishbone mount.

Where my droop at? oh thats right, adjusties.

Its all pretty straight forward apart from the oil filter housing. Its a cartridge filter but the canister is upside down hanging under the engine. Obviously its full of oil, thank fully VW implemented a drain into the housing. You unscrew the little cap, get a 3mm allen/hex key, push it into center of the orange nipple and as you push in gently push it towards on side. it will pop over and oil will drain out. There is a genuine special tool, but pfft, thats money.

Youll need a big 36mm socket to get the housing off. Thankfully i have mine from my BMW days.

Chucked new filter and gasket in, and dumped in 5L of oil (put in 4.5L, checked level, added further 500ml to bring to full mark)

Once the oil change was done i moved onto the diverter valve. I wanted to service it as its a Forge unit (and meant to be regularly serviced) and i had no history of any service for it.

I removed all the arch linings on the RH side of the car to gain more access. Be sure to have a bucket near when you pull the rear section off as its usually packed with mud, and sure enough mine was.

Bit of a pain to get out, much fussing around with different length extensions on my ratchet and much bashed knuckles. No fun at all. Got there eventually though.

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 09:55:52 am »

Pulled it to bits. Lots of dirty slimy grease and some dirt. The piston pushes out from the front of the unit, stick your pinky finger in and it should pop out. Mine was a bit sticky.

cleaned it all out, slathered some synthetic great in the space between the o-rings and reassembled.

Popped that back together, and reassembled all the trims and shields i removed.

Moved onto the HPFP cam follower.

Removed the cover with stupid integrated air filter

high pressure fuel pump

Easy to remove, just dont be like me and break the farking clip off the sensor plug. Zipties to the rescue. Ill get a new plug and repin it at some point.

Leaks a bit of fuel when removed, but otherwise straight forward. i did not remove the rubber hose under the pump, i left it connected.

Pulled the follower out and HAPPY DAYS, its in good condition with moderate wear. About what i would expect if it had been replaced 30,000km or so, so someone has done it in the past. Cam lobes looked good.

Popped all that back together, primed the pump to check for leaks, all good.

And lastly, fitted my new wipers. So good, they actually clear the screen unlike the old ones.

Over all the car doesnt feel much different, maybe a bit smoother. because i disconnected the better the DSG is learning again so its a bit iffy on its change speed and timing at times but that should sort its self as it adapts. I have noted boost is smoother, and i can hear more of a turbo intake noise and woosh on throttle let off.

one annoying thing is that since disconnecting the battery my indicators dont flash when i lock and unlock the car now. will have to do some googling.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 03:40:52 pm »
Good job on the car so far - I did my cam follower today too and broke the exact same sensor clip. Thought it was gone forever until I saw it lying on the floor where my tools were. How annoying!

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 05:47:33 pm »
Great work - that's a really good read. Love the amount of work that has gone into your mk5!
Whereabouts in NZ are you? I was born in Auckland, but seem to be stuck in the UK now...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »
Ooops - just noticed you said you're in Wellington  :ashamed:...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 06:16:49 am »
Did some things today.

Boot light now works and is now LED. success.

Also noticed when the sun was in a certain position it was shining on a plaque on the top of the exhaust tips. Turns out its a legit as f*ck Kakimoto Einsatz Type 2 exhaust.

http://www.einsatz-kr.com/02_lineup/vw/s622_w633001.html

Dont think mine is the burnt titanium tip, likely the black chrome but until i drop it and give it a polish i wont know for sure.

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 06:18:46 am »
in other developments, my persistence has paid off.

My carbon front splitters are made by COX in japan. They also make the carbon cluster surround (which according to the site is actually real carbon).

The splitters are about $300. no idea how to buy them if i wanted to though. None on Yahoo JPN.
http://www.cox.co.jp/products/index.php?id=41

CO01V05002

http://www.cox.co.jp/products/index.php?id=251

Offline KelvinatorNZ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 06:19:50 am »
FML, finally managed to look into why the electrics on the drivers seat dont work.

Checked the plugs under the seat, and found this.

A disconnected and taped up yellow wire,

and a large plug that was disconnected. the other half was stuck under the seat.

I checked the wiring on the passengers side, which does work, and the big plug was connected. disconnected it and the electrics stopped working. Ok, obviously the large plug has the heater and lumbar wiring in it.

I fished the plug out from under the seat and plugged it in. Noticed the clip on the plug was broken off, so used a ziptie to hold it together. Tested, heating and lumbar both work now, but as soon as the ignition is turned on i get an airbag light. FML.

Will try disconnecting the battery later, but i feel i might have to VAGCOM it. Not sure what the yellow wire is, but didnt touch that one.