Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM Parking sensors  (Read 11807 times)

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
OEM Parking sensors
« on: December 11, 2009, 02:00:01 pm »
I'm looking to get some sensors fitted.. now i have been searching on the forum & found that there are 2 types.

1st being the factory fitted which are counter sunk in the bumper & look awesome.
Then there are the after-market which are fitted by vw but don't look the same..

Any ideas if i can get the countersunk ones fitted direct from vw.. it must be possible as what if somebody had original sensors fitted from factory & one failed.. surely vw would replace with the same type..

Is it not just a case of getting the correct part numbers etc..

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: OEM Parking sensors
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 02:09:04 pm »
I saw a bumper on ebay a while back with the sensor holes cut in it. Im sure the countersunk ones could be fitted into this :confused:
Like you say it is probably finding the correct part number.
 :happy2:

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »
There are probably three angles of attack when retro-fitting Parking Sensors

1) Dealership
Ask for a price when you next call by. BUT be aware that some dealerships just pass Parking Sensor work onto external independents as they either dont have the skilled staff to align and drill the rear bumper or that they just dont believe theres any money in doing the work.

If your lucky enough to have a dealership with skilled techs then they will use Volkswagwen branded parts. But be aware that this is a "universal" kit which fits many other VW. These are IMO inferior parts they tend to be very straight forward to fit and as such dont sit as flush as factory fit.

2) Independent
Quite a few places do this now. And would more than likely be the cheapest option.

3) DIY
No doubt the hardest, but also the most rewarding. You will need either a very friendly parts tech at your VW dealership or a copy of ETKA. Its possible to fit the MK5 original factory fit sensors or the MK6 front and rear kit. I'd also make sure you have a decent bodyshop who would be willing to align and drill your rear bumper for you. Then there's a bit of programming on VAGCOM and away you go.

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 03:38:50 pm »
Its only about 250 quid from the dealer, i looked in to it when i got mine but decided im a good parker and spent the money on clothes  :signLOL:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 04:09:15 pm »
There are probably three angles of attack when retro-fitting Parking Sensors

1) Dealership
Ask for a price when you next call by. BUT be aware that some dealerships just pass Parking Sensor work onto external independents as they either dont have the skilled staff to align and drill the rear bumper or that they just dont believe theres any money in doing the work.

If your lucky enough to have a dealership with skilled techs then they will use Volkswagwen branded parts. But be aware that this is a "universal" kit which fits many other VW. These are IMO inferior parts they tend to be very straight forward to fit and as such dont sit as flush as factory fit.

2) Independent
Quite a few places do this now. And would more than likely be the cheapest option.

3) DIY
No doubt the hardest, but also the most rewarding. You will need either a very friendly parts tech at your VW dealership or a copy of ETKA. Its possible to fit the MK5 original factory fit sensors or the MK6 front and rear kit. I'd also make sure you have a decent bodyshop who would be willing to align and drill your rear bumper for you. Then there's a bit of programming on VAGCOM and away you go.

I have fitted a ED30 rearbumper that had the rear sensors installed, the rear bumper has fittings on the inside for the sensors, instead of drilling why not get a qoute on the upper part of the rear bumper that are designed for the real VW sensors??
Might cost a bit more, but definately the best solution regarding alighment and finish IMO.
They were a plus since i just wanted to get the ED30 rear bumper, and i must admit i find it comforting to know they are there.  :santa:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 04:18:17 pm »
Its only about 250 quid from the dealer, i looked in to it when i got mine but decided im a good parker and spent the money on clothes  :signLOL:

+1 If the Golf was a big car i'd get it, but it isnt! I find them irritating, when I had them I would hit the button as soon as they started beeping as it annoyed me!  :laugh:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 04:39:19 pm »
I have never needed them, if a space looks to small ill go elsewhere and walk further. Its overkill on a hatchback really!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 04:47:19 pm »
I have never needed them, if a space looks to small ill go elsewhere and walk further. Its overkill on a hatchback really!

What are bumpers for anyway?! I got into bad habits when I temp'ed as a driver for HelpHire.

Brand new M5 with parking sensors... I just kept going until I nudged the car behind. (Note, they were all courtesy cars, not private ones!!) It never used to leave any marks, there's loads of give in a modern bumper, there has to be by law. I just have remember to be more careful now in supermakets with my car, seems it's a hard habit to break.

Some of the guys I used to work with though... Their driving was shocking...

No, this wasn't my doing!! Car was ruined though, what you can't see is the up-right on the side of the truck that skewered the suspension. And it was brand new. We had to get a forklift over from one of the units across the road to push it back onto the truck. I guess you pay peanuts, you get monkeys - the boss was a mate and i just wanted to drive fast cars for the summer!

Sorry... I digress.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:42:21 pm »
i think they are use less , my S3 came with them and if you took any notice of them you would never reverse any where !!!!!!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 08:44:51 pm »
Rear camera FTW  :wink:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:08:51 pm »

Yep I'd like one of those just for the gadget factor!  :xmaspresent:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 09:42:51 pm »

Yep I'd like one of those just for the gadget factor!  :xmaspresent:

Two cheap video call phones, tape one to the back of the car and ring it when your reversing  :drinking:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 09:46:50 pm »
I like rear sensors!, just makes you a lazier driver. Most of my previous cars have had them, the ed30 hasn't, took a little getting used to, especially for the wife!!!  Not bothered about them now I driven 7000 miles without them.

If I were ordering anew car again they would definately be on the options list, as many toys as possible for me!
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 04:18:43 pm »
The OE flush fit sensors work differently to the other kit, so you have to spend a fortune on control units and wiring, etc.

The other VW kit is a rebranded Cobra kit.  All manufacturers supply the Cobra kit for retrofitting and I've not seen one go wrong yet in my years of motor trade madness. 

I'm going to get one of these kits and flush fit them into 4 recesses that are already in my Votex rear splitter. They'll be a little low but they'll be OK.  I'm also going to wire the buzzer into a switch that I'll put next to the ESP button because they're not always necessary :)
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 07:43:31 pm »
Thought I'd bump this thread up rather than starting a new one.

The wife is looking some rear sensors on her Mk5 Match (and if im honest im even considering them myself) and I just wondered if anyone has had them retro fitted by a dealer?

My mother in law got Mercedes to fit them on her C Class but they're blatently some after market effort, with a small display in the rear window which lights up the closer you get to the car.

Are the VW ones just the same as those that are factory fitted?