Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Recall Refusal  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
VW Recall Refusal
« on: June 23, 2015, 11:34:27 pm »
Hi,

So I bought my new car just two days ago (2011 2.0 TDI Bluemotion Match) and was casually browsing on the internet when I came across a VOSA announcement that my car has a recall on the 'high pressure pipes'. I took note of this, opened up the webpage and visited my local dealership. When I approached one of the team regarding my car potentially having a recall, I was told that unless there was anything specifically wrong with the parts I had no leg to stand on and they would only look at it if something was an issue. So I questioned the member as to why they would wait for something to go wrong before they fix it if they know that there is a problem with this part in these cars. She didn't have a clear answer except that that's how recalls work and they won't touch it without any faults. She then claimed that without a VW letter there was nothing she could do, I have only owned the car two days and very much doubt I'll be receiving a letter through the post regarding the recall if it was recalled back in 2012. Should I take this further or am I in the wrong here? I just don't see the sense in waiting for something to go wrong before touching the car when there is a potential problem there that has already been identified by VW.
Aye, that wan.

dansmith180

Re: VW Recall Refusal
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:41:45 pm »
That's bullsh*t, the whole point of a recall is that all those parts are now proven to be substandard and therefore a liability and its there duty to replace them FOC.

Did you go back to where you bought it from or just your local VW dealership? Maybe try going to another one to see if they're more helpful and if not got back and pester the initial place since as far as I know they have a legal obligation to replace the part.

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:51:10 pm »
I bought the car privately, the previous owner bought it from where I took it today (VW main dealer) so it's remained serviced at the same VW dealer and been in the area since new. Come to think of it now, she was quite cheeky in her way of speaking to me as well because she wasn't bothered about what I asked at all. When I asked her about the price of the timing belt change, she said it's "roughly £450 or something" and got me on my way. As I didn't know what to hit her back with, I simply walked out. There's another VW garage not too far from me, I'll give them a shot and see what they say. They're supposedly better judging by their online reviews as well.
Aye, that wan.

dansmith180

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:53:58 pm »
Yeah that's the problem with them being independently owned, you get a vastly different level of service even from ones in the same area.

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:57:28 pm »
Definetely. Will give the other one a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Cheers man.
Aye, that wan.