Make a donation

Author Topic: whats next?  (Read 13663 times)

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
whats next?
« on: June 29, 2015, 02:54:19 pm »
So been thinking about selling my gti and getting something else since power is limited unless I get a k04 upgrade which I don't feel its worth the 2k+ for a front wheel drive. I'm actually looking for a awd car don't mind hatchback coupe or saloon. I'm leaning a bit more towards the s3's. What have you moved onto after the mk5 or what are you thinking to get next?

Budget: £12,000

Hard to find something as beautiful as the mk5 gti but just not a fan of fwd and now wanting a awd
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:12:14 pm by The666 »

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: whats next?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:09:03 am »
would love to get a mk6 r but still to damn expensive and a r32 isn't really tuner friendly cant do much to it. Maybe the audi quattros or evo x.
So hard to make up my mind. Some recommendations will be much appreciated! thanks

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:05:01 am »
You won't get much for £12k . Try an ED30 with a remap and i think you'll stick with the MK5 . An S3 is boring to drive and look at too .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline olethalb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 31
  • My Ride: A4 DTM - TOURAN
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:15:43 am »
s3 awesome when mapped stage2+ mate sold his r-tech mapped in sprint blue with leathers, milltek, helix paddle etc etc 362bhp with 60k miles for £12k and that was a fast car, fwd scrabbling for grip gets boring imo
Touran TFSI Quattro | stage 2+ BHZ | UK's first

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:29:24 am »
s3 awesome when mapped stage2+ mate sold his r-tech mapped in sprint blue with leathers, milltek, helix paddle etc etc 362bhp with 60k miles for £12k and that was a fast car, fwd scrabbling for grip gets boring imo

Yep fwd scrabbling gets very booring and annoying hence why I wont mod my Gti as its fine how it is at 210bhp
Been there done that with big 300+ bhp fwd cars and never again!

Id go down the S3 route mate to be honest or possibly even the A3 Quattro S-Line  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline olethalb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 31
  • My Ride: A4 DTM - TOURAN
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:48:46 am »
i'm currently @370bhp in my touran (s3 engine) and it's a waste of space in 1st and 2nd geard despite all the mods you can throw at the chassis, it sometimes starts wheel spinning midway through 4th in the wet which is hardly idea  :signLOL:

car needs quattro, my last 4 cars were quattro and i don't want to stay fwd  :sad1:
Touran TFSI Quattro | stage 2+ BHZ | UK's first

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 05:55:45 pm »
Yup really no point of going ed30 direction just got more power to burn more tyres  :grin:
Do love the evo x but heard they are not very reliable and high maintenance.
Really want a s3 now can't decide if should go with 6mt or dsg. Currently got dsg and I love the crackle and pop sounds it makes even more after the remap and love the fact that you don't have to spend £1k on a clutch for a remap heard dsg clutch is good enough for up to stage 2+. But I really do miss driving a manual as that's what I've always been driving before I got the gti.
Don't know guys but its driving me mad 6mt vs dsg and s3 vs evo x  :sad1:

Offline sanj

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:06:01 pm »
I would go for the S3 as i've seen plenty around the £13-14k mark and it will tick all the boxes,I have a MK6 R and love it,will be going Stage2+ next weekend and can't wait!

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:59:16 pm »
Yup really no point of going ed30 direction just got more power to burn more tyres  :grin:
Really want a s3 now can't decide if should go with 6mt or dsg. Currently got dsg and I love the crackle and pop sounds it makes even more after the remap and love the fact that you don't have to spend £1k on a clutch for a remap heard dsg clutch is good enough for up to stage 2+. But I really do miss driving a manual as that's what I've always been driving before I got the gti.

I guess you have never driven an ED30 with 300bhp as you would not be saying that . The Ed30 might get loff the mark slower than an S3 but being quite alot lighter it will catch up big time and handle so much better than an S3 .But it appears you just want to be quick off the lights !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 09:06:59 pm »

I guess you have never driven an ED30 with 300bhp as you would not be saying that . The Ed30 might get loff the mark slower than an S3 but being quite alot lighter it will catch up big time and handle so much better than an S3 .But it appears you just want to be quick off the lights !

Noope like me the guy likes to be able to nail it off a roundabout in 2nd onto a slip road joining a dual carriageway and not have to worry about lighting the front wheels up until he's in 4th gear  :laugh:

So the only point you safely get traction is when your at livence risking speeds hmmm sounds like great fun (not)
Fwd car 200 ish bhp 4wd and the sky is the limit hence why my Gti is standard  :P
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 11:27:22 pm »
yup gotta be either a tts, s3 or evo x. All come dual clutch transmission and manual except the evo x has 5 speed manual rather than 6 speed like the tts and s3. Which is your choice which car with which transmission?
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:38:30 pm »
so 8 months down the line and I still have my gti lol. I have however just posted a ad for the sale. All this time I just couldn't really make up my mind on which to get...Still haven't really but I know I want out of the hatchback scene. probably going for a tts dsg but if I find a good spec bmw 335i that will be what I go for. 335i manual is very hard to find in good spec and after driving a dsg getting a steptronic sounds like a big downgrade.
Got a couple guys coming to check out the car tomorrow and Sunday. Hope to get new car within a week of selling.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:14:24 pm »
I like the drama of mental FWD and scrabbling  :smiley:  I like to get my money's worth from the TC / ESP!  If they don't kick in, I'm not driving it hard enough  :grin:

I went the other way, 4WD to FWD.  I found my R32s to be utterly boring and drama less, and much more understeery than the FWD MK5....especially with a remapped Haldex controller on it.  I think it's just the Haldex tbh.  All that extra weight for little benefit, in this country at least.  Off the line, yeah great.  At all other times, meh.  Funny thing was, a few winters ago, my R32 was no better in snow than a FWD golf. I kid you not.  4WD doesn't make you a cornering hero because it does not increase lateral grip....only traction.  You want something with torque vectoring like an Evo if you want proper 4WD fun.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 04:35:00 pm »
ye I don't imagine there will be a huge difference on a dry day but in the rain you cannot pull off from the lights without getting a wheel spin and even worse in curvy roads traction control does not help. Just wish the r32 had a turbo or a cheap option to install a turbo.

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 04:42:07 pm »
How about a Passat CC in 3.6 V6 guise, 300bhp,AWD,DSG

I hear these remap to about 340bhp