Make a donation

Author Topic: Aircon - too much pressure to re-gas?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Aircon - too much pressure to re-gas?
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »
Picked up an 05 GTI a couple of weeks ago and stupidly didn't check the aircon beforehand. With the weather now I took it to be re-gassed at halfords earlier to see if that was the problem in the hopes it would be a simple fix. The guy at halfords connected his little valve/gauge to my AC but after a bit of messing around with the controls and setting the AC to full blast he said it was holding too much pressure and wasn't going down and that it couldn't be re-gassed.

He explained that the system is probably full up with air and no AC gas but said he couldn't gas it up until the system had been drained of the air and that I would need to take it to a garage to do so. From the little he explained I got that the system will likely be empty of AC gas and has just been pressurised with air instead but that air needs to be drained before it can be replaced with the AC gas? Is this a good sign that the rest of my AC system (compressor etc) is intact?

cheers!

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
Re: Aircon - too much pressure to re-gas?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:28:00 pm »
Don't use Halfords for aircon regas mate, they use like a aerosol top up gas. You need to find a place with a proper machine that will evacuate the system of any old gas and oil, then vacume the system to get out any moisture and refill with the correct amount of gas.

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:45:10 am »
cheers. Booked a local guy for tuesday, hopefully it will be as simple as that.

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:19:56 pm »
just had the guy come look at it. Said it seems the compressor is knackered and would be looking at roughly £800+ including labour for him to sort it all. He said would need new valve, compressor and would have to look at possibly replacing condenser as well as vacuum out the system and regas and oil etc.

During his inspection the guy hooked up a load of tubes and valves to the system leading back to a pump and then on to a gas canister which he emptied out the gas in the system to. He said there was less than half the full amount in there although I read about 230-240g off the scales he had the gas bottle on, and the label on the grille states I believe 565g or something similar.

He had a bit of a poke around under the bonnet but I am wondering if this was enough to diagnose the compressor failure and everything else. One thing he didn't mention was the high pressure switch which I have read is a common failure point and can stop the system working. Is this guy just talking worst case or is he trying to replace more than needed? I have asked for a proper quote for him to carry out the work but wouldn't wanna think about paying that much without knowing other easier fixes haven't been checked first.

He also mentioned as he had drained the system it shouldn't try to work anymore but did mention it could seize and mess with the fans. Should I leave the air con off now or what?

cheers

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:13:53 pm »
I wouldn't try to use it if there is no gas.  Worth changing the pressure switch (cheap) and re-gassing before going for the compressor (expensive).  This fixed mine.  It's not too difficult to change with a crows foot spanner, but you will need to get it regassed once you've fixed it (VW will regas for about £70).
I have a spare pressure switch that you can have for £25 posted.