Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear brakes hot last week, now they seem to be ok?!  (Read 888 times)

Offline MarkyN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • www.instagram.com/marky_n
Rear brakes hot last week, now they seem to be ok?!
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:58:24 am »
Last week I noticed that my rear driver side brake was cooking. The disks where extremely hot, so I parked the car up and ordered a new caliper.
In the mean time I have used my other car but on the odd occasion my dad had taken the golf out, not far, maybe 5 miles if that. On Friday I have to take my golf to work as my dad was using my pickup to collect logs.
My trip to work is around 11miles. I got there and I couldn't smell burning as I could the start of the week.
I drove from work at the end of the day back home and no smell of burning again, I splashed some water on the brakes and no sizzling like last time.
Yesterday I took a good 1 hour drive each way out up around North Wales, as I got home I tried my rear brake again and still no sign of it over heating.

What I thought was a rear caliper sticking doesn't seem to be doing this anymore.

Spoke to my dad and he said they calipers might have self adjusters on as the lads wear down the caliper adjusts them in.

Is this correct?

Or do people just think I bite the bullet and put my new caliper on?