Make a donation

Author Topic: The wheel mine field  (Read 1919 times)

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
The wheel mine field
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:12:23 pm »
Hi all. I'm just about to have my wheels refurbed as the paint was starting to blister due to old age and cheap wheel cleaners. I'm looking for a good wheel cleaner that doesn't tarnish the new shiney surface. It seems to be an absolute minefield of what to use and what not to use. Can I have some suggestions please. Until now I've been using an Auto Glym wheels cleaner which I think is mince.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Re: The wheel mine field
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »
How you thought of just doing a full decon, polish and seal them? Make future washing far more easy with just shampoo.

If not bilt hamber auto wheel is a great wheel cleaner  :happy2:

Offline Curley89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • Stage 2+ S3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:05:47 pm »
Chris92 has hit the nail on the head. Get them sealed and shampoo will be enough.

dansmith180

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:56:08 am »
If they've just been returned then just IPA wipe and then put some gtechniq C5 on them. Then you'll be able to clean them with soapu water or use Valet Pro bilberry wheel cleaner.

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 01:18:03 am »
I use bilberry wheel cleaner or brightener as they call it and chemical guys wheel sealant. The dirt easily comes off with just shampoo in between sealing them.

Offline Curley89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • Stage 2+ S3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 02:01:57 am »
If they've just been returned then just IPA wipe and then put some gtechniq C5 on them. Then you'll be able to clean them with soapu water or use Valet Pro bilberry wheel cleaner.

Are you using C5? What life have you had out of it? I've bought some to use when my wheels are back from having a refurb.

dansmith180

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:07:32 am »

Are you using C5? What life have you had out of it? I've bought some to use when my wheels are back from having a refurb.

If you apply to a clean surface, don't use the wheels for 12hrs+ and wash it with a gentle cleaner/ shampoo you can get 12 Mo the out of it. I never keep wheels long enough to find out usually  :laugh:.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:27:51 am »
My cquartz has been going for 4 months so far and it's still a lot easier to clean! I would imagine C5 to be pretty identical.