Make a donation

Author Topic: are your fast road pads street legal???? they might not be  (Read 26548 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mjvk3cqvga0nrj38lrf03onn5f&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: are your fast road pads street legal???? they might not be
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »
Just sandpaper the name off the back plate.....   :happy2:

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:50 am »
As someone else said if your car isn't for track use and you have to upgrade the brakes, breaking the law on brake pads should be the least of your worries....
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.

Offline Ramsay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »
The only time anyone would ever look at the brake pads is if you were involved in a fatal road accident, other than that most cops, even traffic wouldn't have a clue what different pads were.

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 06:55:54 pm »
As someone else said if your car isn't for track use and you have to upgrade the brakes, breaking the law on brake pads should be the least of your worries....

Question was posed due to the below, so wanted some more info as to the legality.

Wasn't asking for a recitation of an already posted comment.

AP Mate, i was getting worried so gave them a bell, my BBK goes on in a couple of weeks.

The reason is that you are using non standard calipers so the pads dont need to conform to reg 90, the pads do need to be suitable for road use which ap say the DS2.5ks are  :happy2:
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 07:49:44 pm »

Question was posed due to the below, so wanted some more info as to the legality.

Wasn't asking for a recitation of an already posted comment.

AP Mate, i was getting worried so gave them a bell, my BBK goes on in a couple of weeks.

The reason is that you are using non standard calipers so the pads dont need to conform to reg 90, the pads do need to be suitable for road use which ap say the DS2.5ks are  :happy2:

Someones touchy!  :laugh:

I wasn't even responding to you, I was just adding my opinion to a thread I'd never seen before.  Apologies for agreeing with another post!  :happy2:
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 10:37:51 am »
Very informative thread this. I'm about to have a full set of S3 parts fitted to mine. These pads were/are on the list of components to fit as the car does occasional track days.

My question now is what compliant parts are available that are suitable for road and track?

There's a question mark over ATE Super Blue brake fluid I suppose now.

Off Googling now...

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline dokez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 10:49:01 am »
ate super blue is good!

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 08:30:14 pm »
I'm in total agreement with what you say regarding fitting non approved items but please, even in the event of a fatal accident, the prosecuting authorities will not be analysing pad compounds. They will be concentrating on the bigger contributor such as driver misjudgement/impairment/excessive speed/using mobile etc.