Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2692036 times)

scottm72

Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #2565 on: November 18, 2012, 05:02:35 pm »
my brakes ar gti stock and work great ?
I wonder what the breaking difference would be comparing both alongside
[/quote]

One day.... When your stock brakes fade and nearly kill you, you will see the Very important need to uprate your brakes 

Even as standard, the GTI 200bhp is too much power for the standard brakes.

ANY more power with standard brakes is just plain dangerous IMO.  :surprised:

[/quote]dude with all due respect that is a load of b @ll@cks,,,, standard brakes are by far sufficient for this car, if you want to track race then I can see your point, or if you want to drive around braking hard like an idiot then ok upgrade them - but for the build of the car the brakes fitted as standard are well suited to the job.
telling people the standard braking system will and I quote ( nearly kill you ) is just stupid,,,,, on the odd occasion I have braked hard my car has stopped very well, also why don't you have a unbiased look at the tyre stopping tests out there, very very impressive and a lot done with a gti golf of which the car stops very impressively, or even better so the millions that have bought these cars and had no problems.
I have owned golf gti mk1, mk2, mk3, 2x mk4s and now mk5 and the brakes are fine, of course upgrading them will be better but if I upgrade every part of the car it will ALL be better.
in your opinion 200bhp is way to much for basic brakes !!!!! b@llOcks  :stupid:

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #2566 on: November 18, 2012, 05:51:14 pm »
Eloquently put Scott!  :laugh:
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #2567 on: November 18, 2012, 06:07:08 pm »
Eloquently put Scott!  :laugh:

:grin:

Never really had an issue with mine. I have had to brake hard 2-3 times and I am still alive...so they worked :happy2:

But I can appreciate the R32 brakes will be a decent upgrade. Will probably upgrade mine at some point if I can get hold of a set.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2568 on: November 18, 2012, 06:25:35 pm »
Saturday Morning consisted of this:

Nokyos I bought didn't fit, wrong size so couldn't change the bulbs.

Sunday then took a nice ride out to see Jason who kindly offered to help me fit Xenons and code them.

Feeling worse for wear this happened:

Done.

Tonight, need to get them adjusted as they're a tad to high I think??

Many thanks Jason, tweaking my settings and sorting the top grill vent out, you're nimbleness was appreciate.

Next Up - Bi Xenon wire to be sorted.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:29:24 pm by Moz »

scottm72

« Reply #2569 on: November 18, 2012, 06:29:08 pm »
Eloquently put Scott!  :laugh:

:grin:

Never really had an issue with mine. I have had to brake hard 2-3 times and I am still alive...so they worked :happy2:

But I can appreciate the R32 brakes will be a decent upgrade. Will probably upgrade mine at some point if I can get hold of a set.
thanks guys appreciate the support  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2570 on: November 18, 2012, 07:03:23 pm »
Fitted the polo DAB aerial I bought from Eddie the other week to replace the cheap windscreen version I had. So far reception is excellent - see how it is with more use  :happy2:

Any guides to fitting?

scottm72

« Reply #2571 on: November 18, 2012, 07:26:43 pm »

Sunday then took a nice ride out to see Jason who kindly offered to help me fit Xenons and code them.

Feeling worse for wear this happened:

Done.

Tonight, need to get them adjusted as they're a tad to high I think??

Many thanks Jason, tweaking my settings and sorting the top grill vent out, you're nimbleness was appreciate.

Next Up - Bi Xenon wire to be sorted.

are you happy with the settings now ? looks like they are bang on straight with your lights against the wall pic but they need to be up to the left don't they, my factory bi xenons with self levellers certainly go up to the left a bit and just passed an mot with them bang on the correct projection ?

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2572 on: November 18, 2012, 07:30:32 pm »
Yeah I'm happy with them for height been out tonight and not had anyone flash me or anything so they might be fine ? They're not no xenon yet as I need the wire for that first but if you think they look OK ill go with that!

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #2573 on: November 18, 2012, 08:44:49 pm »
Got the pescaras prepped for winter:

Washed With bilbery
treated with Iron x and Tardis
Clayed
two layers of poor boys wheel sealant.

Bloody hard work and my back is proper knackered! Prepping the car in the first week of dec where i have access to a unit and get it all done indoors!

Rich

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #2574 on: November 18, 2012, 10:06:22 pm »
Fitted the polo DAB aerial I bought from Eddie the other week to replace the cheap windscreen version I had. So far reception is excellent - see how it is with more use  :happy2:

Any guides to fitting?

I used a guide that someone listed on here - from golfmkv Site i think (the link i have says the site is unavailable so think its down at the moment) which showed how to remove the rear headlining plastic edge by the boot and then undo the side quarter panel screw (behind the airbag symbol). This is done just to make lowering the roof lining a little more a bit easier.

Unscrewing old aerial and replacing with polo one was pretty easy as same size. We then ran the cable along the side of the car - under the floor plastics then up and across at the front to the back of the stereo - and voila  :happy2:
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2575 on: November 18, 2012, 10:10:56 pm »
Finally got round to tidying up the pipework for my catch can, I got new straight fittings in metal instead of the crappy right angle ones you get normally. Also some new hose, looks alot better now!

Also washed it in the freezing cold, had her a year now!

| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #2576 on: November 19, 2012, 07:47:04 am »

Looks good. Where did you find the Lamin-X for the fogs over there? Hope the fog bulbs come soon. You will appreciate them even more.

You should try some yellow daytime flasher bulbs. They really get more attention when flashed behind the Slow Ones;

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:53:39 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2577 on: November 19, 2012, 09:39:08 am »

Finally got round to tidying up the pipework for my catch can, I got new straight fittings in metal instead of the crappy right angle ones you get normally. Also some new hose, looks alot better now!

....Are your new catch can hoses fluoro lined?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2578 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:55 am »

Looks good. Where did you find the Lamin-X for the fogs over there? Hope the fog bulbs come soon. You will appreciate them even more.

You should try some yellow daytime flasher bulbs. They really get more attention when flashed behind the Slow Ones;

....Great image - You should post it in the Colours > Red thread  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2579 on: November 19, 2012, 09:45:19 am »
Yes Robin they are oil resistant. I'm going to do away with my charcoal canister next too as it gets in the way of the catch can too much!
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.